Old 09 September 2015, 05:18   #11
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
As nightfisher says easy to get it wrong when you can independently choose how many squirts of primer, idle level/ign advance and carb choke amount.

In the UK summer I've refined by experience to do as Nightfisher with idle speed fully up and one or two primer squirts but no choke. Usually that will be a first time start but if it hasn't started in three pulls then I give it choke.

If you do three full primer squirts as in the manual and have the fully choke out that risks it being so flooded by the time you've tried three or four pulls it takes loads more pulls with the choke off to clear... and by them an interested audience is usually gathering.

Early or late in the year when it's much cooler I go by the book using full choke.

Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2015, 10:51   #12
Length: 4m +
Thanks for the replies --- I have had the engine for 5 years (came with the boat) and just pull out the choke,give it 2 or 3 pulls and she is away then bang in the choke.
Because this summer has been so cool,the boat been idle for weeks on end as opposed to days and also no heat from the sun on the engine cowl to add some warmth my usual starting method seems not to work.
Now that I know what the choke knob actually does then I'll try different cold start methods --- the word "start" on the knob should have been a clue !!

I had an audience of 1 on Monday --- a guy sat on his Orkney waiting for the tide .
My engine eventually started and I went fishing ----- on returning Mr Orkney was still high and dry ---- I love these neap tides !!

Thanks again for your time and hints --- I have found out a lot about my motor since posting here . I await the next time I try to start it.

Kev UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2015, 15:31   #13
Length: 4m +
Follow up --- hopefully sorted.
Used the motor today --- first time for weeks.
Found a photo taken in 2011 which just happened to show the motor and zooming in showed where the choke knob was set.
Rotated the knob anti clockwise so that the "pull to choke" writing was vertical ( couldn't read it without turning my head sideways !) as shown in the 2011 photo --- I've never messed with this knob but someone who changed the impeller for me earlier in the year must have.

No kick back and the motor started on the 2nd pull just like it used to ....

Many ,many thanks to all who took the trouble to read and post replies.
Regards Kevin

Kev UK is offline   Reply With Quote