Old 05 April 2019, 02:35   #11

Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Danexe, i'm waiting on a delivery of a Tohatsu mfs20e to go on an Aerotec so will keep you posted on the splash issue once ran in, shouldn't be too long.

Hi Stevem and thank you.

Ooh, I bet youíre exited! Iím looking forward to hearing your experiences when you get out with it.

Out of interest, are you purchasing yours from a local dealer, or from an online seller?

The discounted prices Iíve seen online are tempting me to go that way. Iíll still be supporting my local dealer with servicing, but online prices would save me enough to cover the 20 hour service and the first 100 hour/annual one.

Cheers,

Dan

Old 05 April 2019, 08:17   #12

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: SR4 & Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Hi Dan

I bought mine from the local Tohatsu dealer on the North East coast. I phoned for a price and it was as good as i could find online. I've another Tohatsu that I get serviced there and they have been great so it was a no brainer for me. Do like the look of the Merc and the tiller looks great but I will more than likely be using mine with remote steering so the tiller not a priority for me.
Dealer just phone and picking it up on Monday so may try and get out one night next week depending on the weather.

Old 11 April 2019, 01:21   #13

Hi Dan

First time on the water with the new Tohatsu. I was only running half throttle so too early to give a definitive answer on the transom splash but I certainly didn’t get anything coming over at half throttle. Don’t get me wrong there was splashing but nothing like experienced with the two previous outboards I’ve had. There was also a bit of a wind blowing down the river so a little bit bumpy which didn’t help.

I’ll update again once fully ran in, Steve.

Old 11 April 2019, 03:12   #14

Quote:
Hi Dan

First time on the water with the new Tohatsu. I was only running half throttle so too early to give a definitive answer on the transom splash but I certainly didnít get anything coming over at half throttle. Donít get me wrong there was splashing but nothing like experienced with the two previous outboards Iíve had. There was also a bit of a wind blowing down the river so a little bit bumpy which didnít help.

Iíll update again once fully ran in, Steve.

Thanks, Steve!

Perfect. Looks like good (non-splashy) fun to me! Great to see your video and in conditions Iím used to.

Having not had an engine from new before myself, I guess your keen to get the 20 hour running-in over?

Iíve just finished fettling my rib and itís now back on the mooring - giving me time to focus on the Aerotec and the re-power.

Iím going to my main dealers again this week - watch this space. Your video has definitely inspired me to open my wallet!

Cheers again.

Dan
Old 11 April 2019, 11:58   #15

Hi Dan

It’s a ten hour run in period, but yeah want to get it ran in asap so I can start using it fully.

Good luck with your purchase!

Regards, Steve
Old 19 April 2019, 00:50   #16

Hi Dan,

Ran the engine in a bit more yesterday and had it at full throttle for a few moments which was enough to confirm there was no splashing coming over the transom and that was without any riser shim!

Regards

Steve
Old 19 April 2019, 05:33   #17

Quote:
Hi Dan,

Ran the engine in a bit more yesterday and had it at full throttle for a few moments which was enough to confirm there was no splashing coming over the transom and that was without any riser shim!

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the update, Steve.

That sounds really positive and quite a relief that the splashing hasnít occurred. I know itís not a big job to create a riser, but would much prefer not having to put one in place.

Referring back to your previous post - when I asked my local mercury main dealer about running-in and ongoing service schedules and costs, they said 20 hours for first service on the Merc 20 and then annual/100 hour thereafter. Iíll double check with them for my purposes.

Cracking weather this weekend. I hope youíre out enjoying it!

Cheers again.

Dan
Old 19 April 2019, 10:26   #18

You are right Dan, I've just checked the warranty card and it states 20 hours or 3 months for 1st service.
The manual says the engine can be used fully (full throttle) after the 10 hour run in period.
In reality I'll probably hit the 3 month period before the 20 hours but will be over 10.
I think its going to be great for my needs on the BAT. Steve
Old 03 June 2019, 05:38   #19

I hope your experiences with your new engine are proving fun and dry, Steve!

Having ďalmostĒ given up finding an 18hp 2T, as already mentioned - I have just purchased this little minter...

Iím taking it for a first on-water spin with the Aerotec today. I imagine Iíll be needing to fashion a suitable riser/shim in the not-too-distant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6493.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	129628
Old 03 June 2019, 05:54   #20

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Dan well done on finding that. Unusual to find a Nissan badged one in the UK. I bet it was less than this one that I noticed the other day (top left of page)...

https://www.ivanburdfieldmarine.com/outboards-1

Be interesting to hear how you get on with the weight... 3kg less than the newer light 4-strokes but 5kg more than the Mercury/Mariner 15 2-stroke.

Report back as soon as you can on how you find it overall.