Old 13 October 2011, 04:32   #11

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleAbout View Post
I solved my Mariner 75 starting problems by consulting the manual (see Uncle Al's post above) and adjusting the idle jets on all 3 carbs - this is very easy to do (from memory - screw in clockwise until resistance felt then screw out anti-clockwise 1 and 3/4 turns).

I found the bottom carb idle was way out (about 3 turns).

Then it may be worthwhile doing a fuel pump service - the service kit isn't very expensive (I seem to remember about 14 from BlackDog Marine - mention Ribnet) and that helped with consistent starting too.

We now achieve starting on the first turn of the key - warm or cold - which inspires a little more confidence !
good morning Bumble About

do you get into bicester much ? i have a mercury students service training book yours if you want it ,it might help you in the future, i is free you just have to collect.
contact me on alanjane@talktalk.net

Old 13 October 2011, 07:39   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The way to find out if you have a choke or an enrichening valve is to take the fornt cover off the air box (might need to sdo that to adjust the idle settings anyway) & see if the choke (key push in your case, older remotes had a separate sprung toggle switch under the key) and see what happens.

If it pulls a plate across the air inlet, it's a choke in the traditional sense, and so will probably need to use the fast idle lever. if it moves something on the side of the carb, but you see nothing move in the air passage, it's an enrichening valve, which means if you use the fast idle lever, yiou are letting more air in so you might as well not have bothered choking it!

What they may have done on the demo was started on choke alone then very quickly (once running) opened the fast idle to keep it running & warm up quickly.

Although it sounds like you have a problem with your ASIG switch, which i think is in the starter circuit and is held closed by Neutral, opens when in gear. If it's not that next stop is either the keyswitch itself or the solenoid. I'm pretty certian if no deadman it would still crank, just won't fire.

Old 13 October 2011, 10:32   #13

Town: clifden
Make: Fletcher Bravo Arrow
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 175
My mariner 75 year 1987 has a solenoid choke dat injects fuel into the reed manifolds ,small cylinder solenoid near the fuel pimp , it can be checked by taking fuel hose off solenoid and then activate choke and u should c fuel squirting out .
Old 14 October 2011, 04:14   #14

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
good morning Bumble About

do you get into bicester much ? i have a mercury students service training book yours if you want it ,it might help you in the future, i is free you just have to collect.
contact me on alanjane@talktalk.net
Thanks Uncle Al - PM winging it's way to you !
Old 26 October 2011, 04:26   #15

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Many thanks Uncle Al - the training manual looks very good (apologies for the delays in collecting it - the family put a higher priority on getting hot water in the house again!).
Old 26 October 2011, 11:41   #16

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
the ladys of the house always have their priorities wrong, but dont tell them i said so cos they know where i live all the best