Old 15 June 2010, 17:27   #11

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Fiona
Make: Avon SR
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90AETO
It's all back together and running again. Really chuffed all thanks to Emckelvy(iboats).
Thanks a lot
I searched high and low for the shift shaft bushing removal tool and needed the boat ready for the weekend so couldnt wait for it to come via postage. So I forked out for a grinder a vice and 4 x 23mm sockets. Thinking that there is no way I would manage to make this first time. However within 15min I had a good tight fitting socket that fitted my impact driver. Gave it a couple of firm taps and it loosened up. With the gearbox oil already out and bottom plug out. I poured in some clutch fluid so I could see what I was doing. I turned the prop in the clicking direction(clockwise) until just before the click to take the pressure off. I still wsnt exactly sure what I was looking for, so picked up the gearbox and had front of the gearbox pointing to the sky with the driveshaft horizontal. Gave it a shake and the cam slid into view. I held it there while a friend replaced the shaft. I then placed the bushing over the shaft and tighten it up with a couple of screwdrivers and a a few taps with the hammer. On my own now I set at putting the gearbox back on. For some reason I decided to put it back on in neutral but couldned get the driveshaft to line up. Lowered the driveshaft and the damm shift shaft came out again. This time I had it back in the gearbox in about 5 min on my own. Tried again with the gearbox and controls back in forward. This helps a lot since you can move the driveshaft to match the engine.
Little by little I'm getting braver. I think I might try a gearbox rebuild in the winter. Even with the gearbox off I cannot engage reverse. Not a big deal since I've been without reverse for 4 years
Thanks again
Dan

Old 15 June 2010, 17:30   #12

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Fiona
Make: Avon SR
Engine: Yamaha 90AETO
Hi Nos4r2
Yeah it's not ideal without the circlip. Thats why It came out on me again but once you know what your doing its not to much of an inconvenience. I'll refit it if I ever try to get a reverse gear
Thanks
Dan

Old 05 September 2013, 06:11   #13

I know its an old thread but im pulling my hair out, i really dont want to try pull the box to pieces as i think it might open a can or worms.

I have attached a photo of what i see down the hole of the shaft, i removed the circlips from in there and its all clear, the pink bit i see move about 1mm when i turn the prop in the gear stiffness then turn the other way slightly, but the pink bit just doesn't seem to move anywhere even when i put the prop in the air and tap the casing with a rubber hammer.

Any suggestions also its a merc 1000 1964 v6

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftshaft-01.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	85050  
Old 05 September 2013, 11:14   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Stuee, Welcome to ribnet!

Not so sure about what you have there (it's been forever ago since I took mine apart, and yours is (I suspect) the next size up, even if it is the same basic idea...)

Have a clicky on this & see if the pics shed any light?
Mercury Outboard Parts by HP / Serial Range

Hopefully someone welse will come along soon & add something a bit more useful than that.....
Old 05 September 2013, 12:02   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
yep, or hop over to iboats.com's forum and have a chat to a guy called Clams Canino. He's very very good with antique mercs.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote