I had my little SIB out last weekend with my 1997 Mercury motor running sweetly all day, running smoothly and pumping water ok. Before I put it away I thought I would start it and run off any fuel left in the carb, unfortunately it wouldnt start.
I got it home and checked both cylinders for a spark, nothing
I removed what I believe is the kill switch lead, (yellow and black wire with a bullet connector) still nothing. I suspected this first as the motor was running so well prior to shutting down.
When I removed the HT leads from the coils, there was a lot of nasty looking grease inside the coils, I have cleaned this out with electrical cleaner spray and put the connectors back in, the leads appear ok as do the plugs.
I guess it would be unlikely that both coils would fail at the same time, before I take it to a repair shop, has anyone any suggestions as to what I could try to identify the faulty component/s?
Thanks in advance for any advice, I am gutted that I cant get out this weekend.