Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1979 View Post
Well what is it then
Probably a degree of incompetence. Giving you the benefit of the doubt - that would suggest the mechanic has buggered it up.
Old 25 April 2013, 21:37   #63

Length: under 3m
What u think it could b
Old 25 April 2013, 21:54   #64
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Probably a degree of incompetence. Giving you the benefit of the doubt - that would suggest the mechanic has buggered it up.
Quote:
What u think it could b
Now thinking I might have been wrong in my earlier hypothesis...
Old 25 April 2013, 22:43   #65

I dnt get u
Old 25 April 2013, 22:49   #66
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
What he means is take it to a proper mechanic. Honest.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2013, 22:58   #67

Im goin to thanks
Old 26 April 2013, 00:14   #68

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Did you managed to solve your idle problem at neutral ? If not, could you post a neat picture showing both idle and air/fuel screws.

Happy Boating
Old 26 April 2013, 00:31   #69

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Well what is it then
If neither you and your mechanic friend are confident with outboards then take it to a proper outboard workshop, if you don't know anyone then go on ep barrus's website, click on mariner and mercury outboards and type in your postcode. If you don't have the knowledge you will have to pay someone who does and they need the engine physically in front of them, you can't fix outboards from remote computer like an ict system.
Old 26 April 2013, 04:26   #70
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I dnt get u
Luke, I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to be struggling to get what people are trying to tell you so I'm going to be blunt about it:

Go to a proper outboard engineer

In theory outboards are just like any other engine and the local motorbike, lawnmower, should be able to do your servicing etc. BUT there are some subtle differences - like the fact they are raw water cooled, the engine block runs colder than air cooled 2 strokes, the exhaust is under water, etc.

Your engine is a vital piece of equipment which you rely on. Calling out the RNLI to get you home is not like calling the AA.

You are having silly problems which no decent outboard engineer would be having when an engine left his workshop. Good outboard mechanics are not cheap.

If you don't understand the basics don't meddle
Nos and others have in these threads provided you with the answers which probably will solve the problem (test tanks + idle screws etc). If you don't know enough to fix it from there or to guide a helpful friend to fix it - then don't try to. If you turn the wrong screw you will make matters worse. At best you will just make the job more complicated for the professional to fix. At worst you will kill the whole engine.

Having a sensible amount of the right oil in your fuel is essential. Get it wrong, or use the wrong oil and you will need a new engine. Its not like putting the wrong grade of oil in your car - the outboard will go bang very quickly. if you are not confident you know how to mix the oil or which oil to use, don't try to do it on the internet when you might misunderstand something - get the professional to show you.

Ask the right question / give the right info
I get the feeling you expect us all to solve YOUR problems without telling us all the information. Here are some tips for the future:

(1) Write clearly and read it back before posting. Many a user has wasted two days for the sake of 2 minutes proof reading what they wrote.
(2) Try to avoid txt spk, write in clear english with proper sentences and full descriptions. If you don't people wont understand so you will either get bad or no advice. Bear in mind we are all here for fun, and have better things to do than help the guy who is mumbling or rambling in the corner.
(3) Describe what you have done, who the 'expert' is and (how expert they really are) and what you told them to do etc. If someone says "try this..." then before you post again - tell us what happened when you tried that or why you can't try it. Nobody minds helping out the guy who can't afford the Barrus engineer to service his engine every week or who wants to learn.
(4) If you master your 'keyboard' to communicate clearly - you might find mastering your 'outboard' is much easier.

Show some courtesy
People are giving up their time TO HELP YOU. They have no reason to other than generosity to other boaters. That can go a long way, but it can very easily be wasted.

I like to think of RIBnet as being a bit like a 'sailing club bar'. You can walk in and start talking to anyone. Most people will be nice. There are some interesting characters. BUT if you walk in and demand answers and ignore the advice people give you - you can very quickly get a hostile response. Look over your previous posts and imagine you walked into a bar and spoke to complete strangers like that....

...I think its your round!
Old 26 April 2013, 06:17   #71

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Luke, I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to be struggling to get what people are trying to tell you so I'm going to be blunt about it:

Go to a proper outboard engineer

In theory outboards are just like any other engine and the local motorbike, lawnmower, should be able to do your servicing etc. BUT there are some subtle differences - like the fact they are raw water cooled, the engine block runs colder than air cooled 2 strokes, the exhaust is under water, etc.

Your engine is a vital piece of equipment which you rely on. Calling out the RNLI to get you home is not like calling the AA.

You are having silly problems which no decent outboard engineer would be having when an engine left his workshop. Good outboard mechanics are not cheap.

If you don't understand the basics don't meddle
Nos and others have in these threads provided you with the answers which probably will solve the problem (test tanks + idle screws etc). If you don't know enough to fix it from there or to guide a helpful friend to fix it - then don't try to. If you turn the wrong screw you will make matters worse. At best you will just make the job more complicated for the professional to fix. At worst you will kill the whole engine.

Having a sensible amount of the right oil in your fuel is essential. Get it wrong, or use the wrong oil and you will need a new engine. Its not like putting the wrong grade of oil in your car - the outboard will go bang very quickly. if you are not confident you know how to mix the oil or which oil to use, don't try to do it on the internet when you might misunderstand something - get the professional to show you.

Ask the right question / give the right info
I get the feeling you expect us all to solve YOUR problems without telling us all the information. Here are some tips for the future:

(1) Write clearly and read it back before posting. Many a user has wasted two days for the sake of 2 minutes proof reading what they wrote.
(2) Try to avoid txt spk, write in clear english with proper sentences and full descriptions. If you don't people wont understand so you will either get bad or no advice. Bear in mind we are all here for fun, and have better things to do than help the guy who is mumbling or rambling in the corner.
(3) Describe what you have done, who the 'expert' is and (how expert they really are) and what you told them to do etc. If someone says "try this..." then before you post again - tell us what happened when you tried that or why you can't try it. Nobody minds helping out the guy who can't afford the Barrus engineer to service his engine every week or who wants to learn.
(4) If you master your 'keyboard' to communicate clearly - you might find mastering your 'outboard' is much easier.

Show some courtesy
People are giving up their time TO HELP YOU. They have no reason to other than generosity to other boaters. That can go a long way, but it can very easily be wasted.

I like to think of RIBnet as being a bit like a 'sailing club bar'. You can walk in and start talking to anyone. Most people will be nice. There are some interesting characters. BUT if you walk in and demand answers and ignore the advice people give you - you can very quickly get a hostile response. Look over your previous posts and imagine you walked into a bar and spoke to complete strangers like that....

...I think its your round!
I like this a lot !
Old 26 April 2013, 07:04   #72

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Well said, Poly.
To be honest, I'd already given up on the guy.
Old 26 April 2013, 07:08   #73

Ok thanks
Old 26 April 2013, 09:05   #74

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
The person who does my engine is a mancanic and he is good with outboard.
Are you sure he isn't a gynaecologist?
Old 26 April 2013, 09:08   #75

Hahha
Old 30 April 2013, 11:38   #76

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Wee Dafty
Make: RibTec
Engine: Mercury 90HP
This is epic!!!
Old 01 May 2013, 06:58   #77

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Luke on the front of the engine you have a fast idle adjustment knob (as pic below bottom right of picture, this is from a 6hp but similar design), where is this set to ? Is it fully in (anti-clockwise) or have you tried turning it out a little to start ? Try turning it clockwise a bit and see if that makes a difference

How well do you know the service guy ? Is your motor now pumping constantly from starting, if it is I suspect he's simply removed the thermostat, rather than actually changing the impeller etc. You may not even needed that doing. Are you aware the model you have only pumps when it needs to ? So its not uncommon for it to start and stop pumping water when running.

If he has removed the stat it could be running cooler or even too cold which has affected the idle, hence why its cutting out now when engaging gears. Just a thought

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3665335800.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	79413  
Old 01 May 2013, 07:36   #78

Hi there ye ive try that ive just dropped engine off with a outboard mariner guy so he sed he will have a look
Old 01 May 2013, 08:03   #79

Town: Greatstone
Boat name: timanfaya 2
Make: zodiac
Engine: mariner 75
MMSI: 235079206
Guys this post is splendid, Probably the most entertaining i have ever read. Off to Jet wash my monkeys now...... anyone know why they keep running off?
Old 01 May 2013, 08:52   #80
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
. anyone know why they keep running off?

yus

munkys arr fritend ov babboons

speshully babboons wiv a jett wosh

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote