Old 10 December 2014, 17:25   #1

Length: 5m +
Mercury 50efi

Help needed, just bought a mercury 50efi , it's 2010, I took a calculated risk buying it, I couldn't see it running as the guy didn't have any way of standing it up or putting it on a stand, he had put it on an old boat and after a short time it started ripping the transom off, he only just managed to get back in with the boat taking on water, in the panic after beaching the boat he cut all cables and even the transom was cut to rescue the outboard, well the outboard didn't get submerged but he did get swamped a couple of times while carrying it up the beach as they had to stop a couple of times to catch there breath.
Well I've now got it home and I'm cleaning it up, I've repaired the loom(14wires) just a temp job, put a battery to it, tried the trim on the outboard, that works fine, I then tried the key, all if get is a beep and then nothing, I can hear a hissing from what I guess is the fuel pump but no movement in the starter, any ideas please.
Forgot to mention the control box got soaked as well, could it be the control box or is it something in the engine.
Hope someone can help
Old 10 December 2014, 17:46   #2

Town: Cork Ireland
Boat name: Rambler
Make: Valiant PT
Engine: Suzuki Df 60 a
I hope for your sake the everything is as the seller said .Did you get the proper paper work attached to the Outboard or did that get washed away in the when he got swamped .
Old 10 December 2014, 18:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribcraft4.8 View Post
I hope for your sake the everything is as the seller said .Did you get the proper paper work attached to the Outboard or did that get washed away in the when he got swamped .
Lol, I have remainder of warranty, plus receipt from when he bought it in February , plus I've had my police officer niece check for me, I know ,it sounded dodgy to me also.
Old 10 December 2014, 19:56   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Signal from the kill cord?

jky

Or the start-in-gear protection?
Old 10 December 2014, 22:31   #5

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

Or the start-in-gear protection?
Easily overlooked and easily checked...
Old 12 December 2014, 17:06   #6

I've sorted the problem, I'll tell you what I did, it may help someone else.
I bypassed the neutral micro switch , I then had the beep which is normal, so I've been told, when the key wax turned all the way I now had a clicking from the starter solenoid , charged battery over night still the same, so took wires off solenoid , cleaned them, sprayed with wd40 and hey presto, all good, starter spins the engine over now, so something as simple as a little switch and a clean sorted the job for me