Old 27 March 2009, 22:13   #1

Town: West Midlands
Length: 6m +
Mercury 150hp

Hi, Im viewing a boat this weekend with a Mercury 150hp optimax, its a 2002 with 46hrs on it from new.
Is there any way of checking this or do you need to plug it into a computer to read it.
Is there anything that I should be looking out for, common faults, or tell tail signs of problems?
Thanks
Old 27 March 2009, 23:21   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Chris, hours run is covered in the gauges menu option. Just be aware this details the number of hours the ECU has run for and might be different if the engine has had this replaced.

So how does a 7 year old engine have only 46 hours on it, you will want to look the seller directly in the eye when you ask this.

That aside they are quite reliable, one even surviving 700 hours with Rogue Wave. The larger ones had some minor problems but the 150 is okay. Injectors should ahve a plastic blue ring around them, these are the later type.

There is an opti dealer just off the M54, but I have forgotten his name, Dave Manning or Rogue will know him.

Pete
Old 28 March 2009, 03:27   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Happy max's

Nick 01902730717 or 07792497606 he's a good lad and knows his stuff, pretty straight as well. might be worth getting him to inspect the engine before you make an offer

To reinforce Petes point the Opti is a joyful engine and it's dificult to believe that it only got used for 7 - 8 hours per year! look for some tell tale signs of wear and tear. bits of salt around fittings inside the engine cowl I'll fitting engine cowl latches, skeg, gearbox play, Take a compresion tester with you and check you have even compresion .

The opti has two sets of injectors OIL and Fuel each injector is connected via a plug and socket pull these apart and look fr corroson perikewlarly on the bottom 2 cylinders.
Old 28 March 2009, 12:27   #4

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
On the optis im sure someone in the trade told me you can scrub all engine data, and start again, as this could explain the very very low hours, some one more knowledable will know,"is it called a re power"
Old 28 March 2009, 13:03   #5

Town: Glasgow
Make: humber
Engine: optimax 150
They are pretty good very economical on fuel. The only probs I have had are the alternator coming loose due to the bolt holding it in shearing off ( a design fault apparently) and the thermostats getting stuck open. People always talk about issues with powerhead problems on 225 and compressors but not really qualified to comment. You can check the smartcraft controls and check its running within normal parameters (if you buy or download a service manual form e bay).

Mine has never let me down at sea. But I would make sure it get a regular service from someone that deals with plenty of optimax engines.
Old 28 March 2009, 18:53   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
when mine was playing up ( later found due to Battery wiring - so not actual engine) I was told you can see if they have had the plugs changed by seeing if they have any 'overspray' on - by all accounts they build the block - put the plugs in & then spray them gray .

If its run higher hours & had the plugs changed you can tell this way ........
Old 28 March 2009, 19:15   #7

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
please ring me next week with a serial number my number is 01869 326411
Old 28 March 2009, 19:49   #8

Town: West Midlands
Thank you for your help, Im viewing the boat tommorrow, I will let you know what it looks like. It does seem strange to pay 25K + for a boat when new and only use it for 46hrs in 6/7 years?
Old 29 March 2009, 12:22   #9

Town: Surrey
sounds like too me that the ECM has been changed previously . But who knows it could be in great condition and ONLY done the hours he says its done .
Old 29 March 2009, 14:14   #10

Town: Cornwall
OK so assume it has only has done 46 hours in 6/7 years, does that present any problems?
Old 29 March 2009, 17:18   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
when mine was playing up ( later found due to Battery wiring - so not actual engine) I was told you can see if they have had the plugs changed by seeing if they have any 'overspray' on - by all accounts they build the block - put the plugs in & then spray them gray .

If its run higher hours & had the plugs changed you can tell this way ........
Service schedule on a 150 Opti stipulates a spark change on the 10 hour service.
Old 29 March 2009, 18:18   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Service schedule on a 150 Opti stipulates a spark change on the 10 hour service.
Mine was/is 200 - still may not have done... though helps explains why mine was not great when I got it !
Old 29 March 2009, 19:17   #13

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
On a 3 month or 20 hour service, it says "Remove and inspect spark plugs". I never heard of a plug change at 10 hours
Old 29 March 2009, 19:38   #14

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Yeah your right 20hr/3 month service says Remove and inspect spark plugs. Not replace them.

No such thing as a 10hr service anymore.
Old 29 March 2009, 19:44   #15

Town: Surrey
you can tell if an outboard engine has been looked after etc . If that engine has ONLY done those hours and looked after then it should be in excellent condition . Looking at the paint work and all the bolt heads on the powerhead is a good indication if things have been touched and if the block has been opened up . maybe its had a rebuild and ONLY done those 7 odd hours from there . I would generally look at the paint work ( CORROSION ) BUILD UP , anodes , should have the original plugs in it having only done those hours . I would also put a VIDEO bore scope down the bores and have a look inside the pots and check the bores etc .
Old 29 March 2009, 19:51   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by outboardtech View Post
........ I would also put a VIDEO bore scope down the bores and have a look inside the pots and check the bores etc .

Yep, me too. I never go anywhere without my VIDEO bore scope, I'm shoving it in bores regularly.
Old 29 March 2009, 20:55   #17

Town: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I'm shoving it in boars regularly.
Fixed for you Mollers
DHD Sounds like a lot of hassle, best shift it on mate
Old 29 March 2009, 21:15   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. The manual says:
"Replace spark plugs at first 100 hours or first year. After that, inspect spark plugs every 100 hours or once yearly. Replace spark plugs as needed"

This motor should, in any case, have had its plugs replaced by the time it was 1 year old.
Old 29 March 2009, 22:00   #19
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. The manual says:
"Replace spark plugs at first 100 hours or first year. After that, inspect spark plugs every 100 hours or once yearly. Replace spark plugs as needed"

This motor should, in any case, have had its plugs replaced by the time it was 1 year old.
Bearing in mind that 6 Merc Optimax spark plugs cost in the region of £115 - £130, I always took them out, cleaned them up and put them right back in again!! The engine never missed a beat and just in case I always had a spare set in the tool box just in case.

Replacing cause the manual says so, particularly when the engine is out of warranty is a bit silly IMHO.

Also if I were you I would be quite worried about such low hours on an old engine. Clearly its a gin palace special and most likely used once or twice a year.

It will have had the balls ragged off it.

Buying low engine hours on an old engine is not the b all and end all.

Also early Optis had a recall for dodgy injectors. Make sure around the injectors there is a blue/purple collar to identify that the recall has been done. If it hasn't its an expensive job to get done and not doing can cause substantial mechanical damage.

I've had problems with the relays as well. Make sure everything runs A OK as they are a bit expensive to replace.

Early trim motors can fail where the cable enters the top of the trim motor with water getting in to the motor so have a good look, particulalry if stored afloat.

Chris
Old 29 March 2009, 22:05   #20

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
..............Clearly its a gin palace special and most likely used once or twice a year.

It will have had the balls ragged off it.
In that case, it might pay to check out the previous keeper with the
VIDEO bore scope.