Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yep I agree Jeff and were it me I'd have it in the tub on the back yard doing just that... and that's what I mean about frustrating when you know you'd get to the bottom of it quite easily but can only do so much advising at a distance.
yes its a shot in the dark most times especially with folk who just want to have fun with their new toy but when things go wrong they start a thread for help one of my pet hates is spending money you dont need too,the hobby costs enough as it is every bit of help is needed and the OP has a chance to pick the bones off the replies to suit his experience and budget.
Old 01 July 2019, 13:16   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
yes its a shot in the dark most times especially with folk who just want to have fun with their new toy but when things go wrong they start a thread for help one of my pet hates is spending money you dont need too,the hobby costs enough as it is every bit of help is needed and the OP has a chance to pick the bones off the replies to suit his experience and budget.
My take is he knows little about engines and is about to go to a dealer. The dealer is quite likely to replace the coil as its obviously damaged and wont heal up. He will be paying for a coil either way but if the dealer fits it hes paying for fitting too. If he replaces it before he goes to the dealer hes no worse off and may actually save money.
Like I've said before bodging up critical parts isnt a good idea
Old 01 July 2019, 13:46   #23

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
looks like the engine housing, bottom right of some of the photos, is cracked - this would allow water to ingress?
Is this the case, if so you will have issues in the future
Old 01 July 2019, 14:12   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>looks like the engine housing, bottom right of some of the photos, is cracked - this would allow water to ingress?

Yes I wondered that. Of course we don't know where the beads of water came from that are on the engine in the images... i.e just from 2mins running in a tub or 10Nm at sea.

My Aerotec is capable of driving water through the drain holes in the powerhead bottom housing if the setup isn't right.
Old 01 July 2019, 14:41   #25

RIBase
good shout the cracks i hadn't seen them it's maybe had a big fall at some time as fenlander says if the waters from use at sea probably a safe bet thats the cause of water ingress where the cowl dosnt fit snug and watertight
Old 01 July 2019, 18:09   #26

Town: Shropshire
Engine: 15

First of all let me just say thank you to you all, what a fantastic forum. After reading through all the comments, I sprayed wd to get rid of the water inside and gave it a really good clean out and hair dry’d it. I gave the engine a few pulls with no fuel connected and the choke in, in a tub. To my surprise it fired up, I let it run for a while then reconnected the fuel. It’s been running sweet as a nut!

I have been using the engine at sea every weekend... so guessing water ingress is my problem. on the attached picture you can see the crack, and a large hole next to it... it looks intentional. I’ve been using it in chop so can I block that hole? Sorry I realise just how clueless I sound but this is my first sib (honwave t32)... on the bright side I’m loving it!
Old 01 July 2019, 18:22   #27

RIBase
Fenlander will know but it looks like a grommet hole to hold something with the two recess bars. So it looks like you have to sort the cracks and buy a new coil easy to sort yourself. I would epoxy filler the cracks after prepping and cleaning and make sure the cowl seals well
Old 01 July 2019, 21:20   #28

I've been struggling to remember that model re holes as shown and despite having dozens of images of the three I've owned not one had caught that view to see if the hole is there.

Having said that most OBs have two or more holes in that pan to allow any water that did get in to drain away.

Is there a matching one the other side?

Now you have established the motor can run fine when dry I'd probably just buy the new coil.... just do the silicone type repair if you want to save the cost or if you need to use it before a new coil arrives.

I'd repair the pan either leaving the hole or plugging in any generic way. Then you can test run starting from a dry posn under the hood then check to see if any new water appears.
Old 02 July 2019, 07:45   #29

RIBase
found this you can see the hole and the water through it when he drops it in gear

Old 02 July 2019, 08:18   #30

Well researched and spotted Jeff!
Old 02 July 2019, 16:32   #31

Just for info here are the two drain holes one side on my Yamaha. Once the OB was set up to minimise splash none comes in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain holes.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	129922