Old 18 December 2003, 22:13   #1

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Mercruiser 1.7 dti

Well ive more or less abondoned a Prosport. Jason's quotes were erratic to say the least and i havent heard from him in 2 weeks now despite numerous phone calls. I presume he wasnt interested in a 6m when hes got an order list full with ribs 7.5m plus.

Moving on from that ive been to see humber ribs twice now with a view to buy from them. One thing that became apparent is the Mercruiser 1.7 as a viable engine option.

Humber are very reasonably priced on the boat and outboard installation but the diesel is a different story. For the engine and fittmentis £13500. The engine itself for just over 9k. The rest goes on, £1200 for a fiberglass engine cowling?!? £650 for the hull mods and the rest for cabling, battery and labour.

I have found the engine and alpha1 drive in America for £4700. So it would cost under £5500 to buy it and ship it back. Should i do that Humber refuse to fit it so i will have to look elsewhere.

Does the Humber quote sound over priced(it does to me)?
and
If i were to import one where could i get it fitted and how much?
Old 18 December 2003, 23:04   #2

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
I have this unit comming in a pro sport 6.5 mike c's got one in an humber.

Remember you still have VAT and import taxes if importing.
Old 18 December 2003, 23:42   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
If you are serious i know someone from BIBOA with a humber 6.5 and 1.7d for sale. V.V.Good condition, loads of electronics, wants about £25k though i think. I considered it when changing boats this year but it was too far over budget.
Old 19 December 2003, 00:39   #4

Yes i am serious but not only is it over my buget too, i think 6.5m is too big to tow behind my car(sensibly) and i will struggle to store it where i plan to store a 6m.
Old 19 December 2003, 11:16   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Where are you based Simmo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2003, 11:17   #6

In the midlands. Bout as far from the sea as u can get
Old 19 December 2003, 12:18   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Re: Mercruiser 1.7 dti

Quote:
Originally posted by simmons0
I have found the engine and alpha1 drive in America for £4700. So it would cost under £5500 to buy it and ship it back. Should i do that Humber refuse to fit it so i will have to look elsewhere.

Hard to believe the US price since this engine is only made in Poland so it must first be shipped to MPE in Belgium and from there to the US look at the transport costs . Something just does not stack up.

Anyway if you have to look elsewhere just look at RIBS FOR SALE . My Parker 630 Rapier with this engine is still for sale

Unless you want a brand new one - no problem - when do you want delivery

Andre
Old 19 December 2003, 13:37   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
To be honest if you can buy a well looked after boat in as new condition you can be a very happy boater. We looked at buying a boat from Humber and in the end we walked away frrom it because they would only fir an engine they supplied and it was overpriced.

Osprey are in the Midlands, and Andres boat is definitely worth looking at. If U want a new hull and engine then there are many small but good makers of reasonably priced craft out there. Parker, Solent Ribs, Ed at Olmec (ribbraff) spring to mind and you should be able to pick up a 1.7 lump for less than Humbers prices quite easily.

Regarding the Origin of the engine it doesn't really matter where it's made It's all owned by GM the basis of the engine id the Astra Diesel lump which is an Isuzu engine. (GM own 50% of Isuzu and 100 % of Vauxhall and a big piece of Mercury) so the Transortation costs don't come to much when you have a container full of the little beauties.

I don't know Andre and I've never seen a Parker rib but he's been a member of this Forum for a long time, and I have gained a healthy regard for him. So if I was you I'd take him up on his offer to look at his boat. At the very worst it's a day on a boat.

One or two of the North West (sorry East Midland ribsters know what they are talking aboutwhen it comes too boat flesh so it might be worth asking one of them to go with you and have a look see.) You can yalk about Black pudding and M6 Toll road and the inevitable relegation of Wolverhampton Wanderes on your way down Sarf

Cheers
Stuart
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2003, 13:55   #9

Spoke to Solent ribs today, they said there busy and will get a quote to me tomorow. Ill check out olmec and let you know how i get on.
Old 19 December 2003, 16:37   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Wave

I don't know Andre and I've never seen a Parker rib but he's been a member of this Forum for a long time, and I have gained a healthy regard for him. So if I was you I'd take him up on his offer to look at his boat. At the very worst it's a day on a boat.

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart

Thanks for your kind words. I believe we nearly had an opportunity to meet. Didn't you try to drop off CH & DM at the SBS. I was with Kevin "Aging Youth" on the pontoons and we just waved to each other.

I am sure you will have a chance to test a Parker 900D and my new 630D at RIBEX 2004

My Seahawk has been winterized this week as I do not plan any outings till March due to Xmas , New year and a long holiday in the sun from mid Jan

David , Seahawk is a good cruising rib and copes very well in rough conditions . I have taken it across to St.Malo and Cherbourg and recently along to Weymouth.
Mike C has a Humber 630 with the same engine . Both ribs are compatable in performance. I am saying this cos we have cruised a lot together including the June trip to Cherbourg.

Andre
Old 19 December 2003, 18:22   #11

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
6.5m is too big to tow behind my car(sensibly) and i will struggle to store it where i plan to store a 6m.
remember to check LOA or waterline length, jasons 6m is 6.5 loa
Old 19 December 2003, 18:51   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by JAHNO
remember to check LOA or waterline length, jasons 6m is 6.5 loa
I would even go further and say check the weight specially if you have a specific car in mind for towing.

The weight of my Seahawk with full fuel , no persons on board is
1050kg, then of course the weight of the trailer, not sure about this. My trailer is twin axel. But you could comfortably use a single axel trailer.

Andre
Old 19 December 2003, 19:35   #13

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
USA site listing cost with legs

http://www.go-fast.com/mercury_mercr...ine_Prices.asp

also compering it to 135 hp petrol in and out board. Bla bla bla

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...er/print.phtml

Old 19 December 2003, 21:12   #14

Quote:
jasons 6m is 6.5 loa
Did check that. Jasons 6m has a 6.2m loa.

How did you get the 600kg for the weight of your boat in the spec you sent me Andre?
Old 19 December 2003, 21:37   #15

Quote:
Did check that. Jasons 6m has a 6.2m loa.

How did you get the 600kg for the weight of your boat in the spec you sent me Andre?
Sorry that is boat only without engine . I should have said that
will modify spec

Andre
Old 20 December 2003, 13:26   #16

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Yes i am serious but not only is it over my buget too, i think 6.5m is too big to tow behind my car(sensibly) and i will struggle to store it where i plan to store a 6m.

Change yer car.

I'm sure you could squeeze in half a metre extra length. Reshape the hedge, dent the garage door etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 20 December 2003, 13:56   #17

Im not struggling too much for length.

However if it gets much wider it wont fit through the gate at the end of the drive.

And i dont have enough height for the a-frame so either ill "adjust the garage" or leave the back end of the boat sticking out with a cover over it.

Its not a proper enclosed garage....more of a large shelter
Old 21 December 2003, 12:04   #18

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
However if it gets much wider it wont fit through the gate at the end of the drive.....

There's an obvious solution there...... how are you with a spade?
Old 21 December 2003, 13:34   #19

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Re: Mercruiser 1.7 dti

Quote:
Mercruiser 1.7 ............I have found the engine and alpha1 drive in America for £4700. So it would cost under £5500 to buy it and ship it back.
£4700 is a very good price for the package, but your estimate of £800 isn't too realistic if I'm correct in thinking that's for getting it back here with all shipping and duties paid.

You need to be aware that packages bought in the States are normally ex propeller, so you need to factor that cost in. You also need to realise the warranty situation, although they have a "world wide warranty", it will only be for a year, not two. You also need to know how the system works, coz when your motor goes wrong, your friendly british dealer has to submit the serial number to Barrus for authorisation to do warranty work, and this shows the motor to be a grey import. Not really a problem other than there tends to be a lengthy delay whilst the dealer waits for spare parts, sometimes months pass before the part turns up!!

The other problem is finding someone to install it. The cost of installation is normally lost by the boat builder when he gets to supply the package, so you normally don't appreciate the true costs involved. Having a boat built without a motor is a lot different to having a boat built ready to accept a motor!!!
Old 21 December 2003, 15:04   #20

I have tken into account most of what you've said. I know the warrenty will only be valid if installed by a certified mercury fitter.

Hadn't thought about the prop though.....

As for the boat Humber were going to charge £600 to have the hull mods incorporated ready to take the diesel.