RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Hmm... I wonder if you actually need it or if it's a bit of daft overengineering that can be removed to make life easier.

I like the Merc terminology for 'hit with a hammer' til it stops btw. "Install into housing until seated"

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2008, 18:47   #12

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Hmm... I wonder if you actually need it or if it's a bit of daft overengineering that can be removed to make life easier.

I like the Merc terminology for 'hit with a hammer' til it stops btw. "Install into housing until seated"
I did wonder that myself, but... In between the power head, this bush and the water pump, the shaft diameter has been reduced substantially. So, thin shaft with a thick lump in the middle probably needs a bearing to stop it whipping. Only an American could say why they've machined half the metal away. The full diameter would have been ok and the weight saving would be negligable, I'd have thought.

I'm going to replace it if I can (if I've got a heavy enough hammer) because I suspect there may indeed have been some movement in the shaft. The gearbox oil showed signs of water ingress and I'm wondering if the oil seals under the water pump are leaking. New ones come with with the overhaul kit.

American engineering never fails to amaze me, fascinating but sometimes pointless (NASA biro, USSR pencil), and then they cock up the good bits by putting a bronze bearing round a stainless shaft and expect it to work in sea water without any lubrication. The bush is quite brittle, so I suspect it's a sintered bearing, with graphite or something included in it to make it 'self lubricating'. Mmm! I wonder how many others sieze up?

Old 05 November 2008, 12:17   #13

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
Old 06 November 2008, 12:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
OK. Not quite pointless then.
Old 08 November 2008, 19:02   #15

Bit of heat got the bronze bush off the shaft. Ordered pump kit and new bushing from R.I.B.S Marine Parts online. Forgot an oil filter, rang them, spoke to a very pleasant, courteous and helpful lady who took my order for the filter and added it to the packaging of the original order so no extra p&p. She also explained how to get more detail out of the web site. Bushing not in stock at time of call.

Less than 48 hrs later and the whole order is on my bench - pretty good for this part of the country. Just thought I'd let everyone know what excellent service I've received from them (last year too when all I ordered was an oil filter).