Old 17 December 2014, 13:16   #21

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
My 6.5m does over 40 knots with 150hp. (Optimax).

I'd say 150hp is sufficient.

It is often said that the 140hp Suzuki is less than 140hp.

My boat when new was rigged with a 90hp 2 stroke which was sufficient for the first owner - and probably a better balanced boat for it.

Is there a sub 200kg 200hp?
Old 17 December 2014, 13:41   #22

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
I'd say 150hp is sufficient.
"Sufficient" is a a subjective judgment and if it was me I'd want to leave prospective buyers in no doubt that it was "sufficient" with perhaps a little margin for grins.

Quote:
It is often said that the 140hp Suzuki is less than 140hp.
That may well be true but it's 12kilos lighter than the 150 merc, and almost 40kilos lighter than the Suzi 150! The Suzi 175 is the same block as the 150 so for me it was a choice between the 140 and 175.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Suzuki nut-hugger, I think you'd need to make the same considerations with any make.

Quote:
My boat when new was rigged with a 90hp 2 stroke which was sufficient for the first owner - and probably a better balanced boat for it.
The Stormforce 6.1 we demoed had a 100hp Suz on, and I'm sure that would have been fine, but when you're shelling out for a new boa you're looking for something in between "fine" and "I've spent a bunch of money I didn't need to".

It's a tricky one for sure. Those new Merc look good, if I was re-engining Clamchowder I'd be having a long hard look at 'em.
Old 17 December 2014, 15:00   #23

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
I'm no Suzuki nut-hugger
Old 17 December 2014, 15:54   #24

I am sure the sooz's are good motors, i don't know if there is such a thing as a bad motor anymore?????

i guess you could argue the 150hp sooz SHOULD be more reliable than the 175 as it is the same kit with less power?. Why the merc appealed to me really, big block without the supercharger gubbins and it is a wee bit lighter (20lbs over a sooz ish, big deal)

If the right boat came along without having to buy new then i'd happily consider any 4 stroke of 150hp upwards, problem is there is nothing about that takes my fancy. The only engines out for me are 2 strokes of any kind, now and again you hear of 2 strokes being banned on loch lomond, i'd rather not take the chance with an opti/etec etc regardless of the emission claims. They tend not to both with things such as common sense getting in the way of preservation.

cheers
Old 17 December 2014, 17:10   #25
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Have you had a look at the REDBAY Stormforce 6.5 for sale at Euro Yachts Largs 2009 with 150 4st - 1/2 the price of a new boat package???
Old 17 December 2014, 18:05   #26

too late to that party dude...sold it.

be nice if places updated their stock list.

cheers
Old 17 December 2014, 18:29   #27

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
too late to that party dude...sold it.

be nice if places updated their stock list.

cheers
Not sure you missed much there tbh.
Old 17 December 2014, 18:32   #28

clam, i have quotes for osprey, RC and redbay all right here. just a case of making mind up i guess................oh and the tough part £££££££££££ :-)

cheers
Old 17 December 2014, 22:36   #29

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
"Sufficient" is a a subjective judgment and if it was me I'd want to leave prospective buyers in no doubt that it was "sufficient" with perhaps a little margin for grins.

That may well be true but it's 12kilos lighter than the 150 merc, and almost 40kilos lighter than the Suzi 150! The Suzi 175 is the same block as the 150 so for me it was a choice between the 140 and 175.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Suzuki nut-hugger, I think you'd need to make the same considerations with any make.

The Stormforce 6.1 we demoed had a 100hp Suz on, and I'm sure that would have been fine, but when you're shelling out for a new boa you're looking for something in between "fine" and "I've spent a bunch of money I didn't need to".

It's a tricky one for sure. Those new Merc look good, if I was re-engining Clamchowder I'd be having a long hard look at 'em.
It's all a tricky choice. I have to say that I'm generally in the camp of fitting the max allowed. Had a 4m searider with 50hp and then a 5.4m searider with a 90hp and now 6.5m scorpion with 150hp. On the other hand, the current 4m Searider goes very well with its 30hp.

Have been looking at what engines might be suitable to replace the 150hp opti and like the look of the 150hp Merc 4 stroke. It SHOULD have good torque being a 3 litre displacement. But part of me says that if I'm shelling out £11k then I should have "more" than I had before - not just the same but newer!

It's about time mercury brought out a 175hp or 200hp using the same basic tech as their 150hp.
Old 17 December 2014, 23:04   #30

I assume the mid verado range will get the chop in the foreseeable future and going down this route up to 200hp or so. It makes no sense to dev this new engine only to have the 150. I would guess over 225 they will keep the verado.

Cheers
Old 18 December 2014, 10:05   #31

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I was looking at a pair of the new 150's only last week.

My local dealer was quoting around £8750 if bought before the end of the year, that's plus vat of course but still a lot less than people are talking about here.

As I understand it they are selling like hot cakes so it's more a matter of supply than price rise if infact there are any available still !

Dealer is Wayne Maddox marine (margate / manston) 06976 635503
Old 18 December 2014, 22:21   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I assume the mid verado range will get the chop in the foreseeable future and going down this route up to 200hp or so. It makes no sense to dev this new engine only to have the 150. I would guess over 225 they will keep the verado.

Cheers
Rumours of this on some US sites - all talk from 2013 though with nothing from Mercury themselves.