Old 19 May 2014, 12:55   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Mechanical trim set up!!!!!

I've a question to get your heads working.
Any one know of any companies that do mechanical trim set up you can move by hand to trim smaller engines on the move and if not, why not? There has to be a better way than taking that bloody pin out and changing it that way.I was thinking of an off centred disc on the pin like you get on motor bike back wheels for moving the wheel backward and forwards anyone elses thoughts would be good
Old 19 May 2014, 17:25   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
On portable engines you need to leave trim set for boat to ride parallel to water level and engine on transom at a 90° angle once on plane. Will need to know how to distribute weight on deck accordingly under trial and error. Once pin is set to 2-3 hole to achieve this condition will need to leave it there per se.

On larger engines you usually start having your trim set at a + trim position once boat is on plane will need to lower trim to neutral or at a trim position to maintain boat planing paralell to water level.

For instance, if you have a broken hidraulic trim left at neutral position, you'd only need to distribute passsenger or cargo weight accordingly on deck, give a full throttle and that combo will plane easily fast.

We're talking about standard recreational boats, racing, cigarette, inboard type it's a different story.

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2014, 17:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
On portable engines you need to leave trim set for boat to ride parallel to water level and engine on transom at a 90° angle once on plane. Will need to know how to distribute weight on deck accordingly under trial and error. Once pin is set to 2-3 hole to achieve this condition will need to leave it there per se.

On larger engines you usually start having your trim set at a + trim position once boat is on plane will need to lower trim to neutral or at a trim position to maintain boat planing paralell to water level.

For instance, if you have a broken hidraulic trim left at neutral position, you'd only need to distribute passsenger or cargo weight accordingly on deck, give a full throttle and that combo will plane easily fast.

We're talking about standard recreational boats, racing, cigarette, inboard type it's a different story.

Happy Boating
Correct me if am misunderstandng trim set at neutral untill you have shot the hole then once on the plane trim out or up untill the sweet spot, if thats correct. See I have my trim set at neutral which is why I get bow steer, so I need to take it up a hole.
Old 19 May 2014, 17:55   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Neutral is with engine sitting at 90° when boat is at natural resting/floating position. By bow steer you mean bow up ? If so, need to move weight forward, need a better weight distribution on deck.

If boating alone will need to move yourself forward or install a small doel fin to plane faster. Points to consder that affects fast plane : Engine health, counting with at least 70% of max HP transom rated for, engine height & trim among other points.

For better tech clarification check last post :

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2014, 18:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Neutral is with engine sitting at 90° when boat is at natural resting/floating position. By bow steer you mean bow up ? If so, need to move weight forward, need a better weight distribution on deck.

If boating alone will need to move yourself forward or install a small doel fin to plane faster. Points to consder that affects fast plane : healthy engine, having 70% of max HP transom rated, engine height & trim among other points.

For a better tech clarification check last post :

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html

Happy Boating
Having resently changed my engine from mariner 15c to mariner 20hp E9, which is now max rated.I have noticed that the cave plate is not on show when on the plane.Question 1 do you have any tips on raising the engine safley , have tried an 3/4 inch peace of wood but didn't look to safe,
Q 2 I was under the impression if the pin was at neutral that would keep the bow down going up a hole or 2 would bring the bow up thus a more comfy ride, are we on the same page still
Old 19 May 2014, 18:42   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Many engines can take a manual hydraulic cylinder. This allows infinite adjustments, but requires a lever to be flipped, then you set it where you want, and flip the lever back. My engine is that way. It allows me to trim it up in a couple of seconds, but I can't have it in gear.

You will need to see if the engine you are using had that as an option. The service manual should state it as should the online resources.
Old 19 May 2014, 19:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Many engines can take a manual hydraulic cylinder. This allows infinite adjustments, but requires a lever to be flipped, then you set it where you want, and flip the lever back. My engine is that way. It allows me to trim it up in a couple of seconds, but I can't have it in gear.

You will need to see if the engine you are using had that as an option. The service manual should state it as should the online resources.
Is similar to a car jack