Old 21 August 2012, 11:16   #1

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Mariner throttle cables

A few years ago I changed the standard Teleflex cables on my Yamaha for the extreme version - which made a huge difference in operation.

Now that I have Mariner throttle cables (different boat) which seem to be fairly stiff (very difficult to make any fine adjustments) - can I use extreme cables of the right length and "merely" screw the old engine/ control box attachments on or do I have to use the Mariner Platium cables ?
Old 21 August 2012, 12:58   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Assuming your Mariner is Mercury derived, then it will in all likelihood be using the standard Mercury cables. These can be replaced with the 33c type cables that you had with your Yam, but you'd need to buy a conversion kit for each end of the cable to make them fit your Merc motor & Merc control box.

I'd suggest you fit some new Merc cables and make sure there's no tight radius bends in the rigging.
Old 21 August 2012, 13:13   #3

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
So are the 33c considered better cables than the Platinum ones (i.e. is it worth the effort) ? I'm trying to juggle my (excellent) experience with the 33C cables versus fairly average reviews on the net about the Mercury ones?
Old 21 August 2012, 13:34   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
If you disconnect both cables at the engine end, you can try the throttle lever to check how stiff the controls are, when disconnected. If the action isn't smooth, then there may be a fault with the way they've been rigged or alternatively, within the control box.
You could also disconnect at the control box end, to check whether the throttle lever moves smoothly with no cables attached.