Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
mariner cuts off

I was bombing down Loch Sween at 3800rpm for about five miles laid up in a small inlet had a refreshment or two and afetr an hour I started up and headed out slowly. ASt 2000rpm the engine cut got it started again and this happened another twice. Finally I kept it goin at 2000 for about a mile then slowly it allowed me to increase and we made it to 3800 I kept her there all the way home about five miles. She started at the mooring and again in the morning. A couple of gurus advise I have carb blockage but it was an extremely warm day and i wondered if I was the victim of vapourisation? Your thoughts would be welcome also is there any pruduct out there that I could use that would flush my system to clear?

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2009, 05:21   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I was bombing down Loch Sween at 3800rpm for about five miles laid up in a small inlet had a refreshment or two and afetr an hour I started up and headed out slowly. ASt 2000rpm the engine cut got it started again and this happened another twice. Finally I kept it goin at 2000 for about a mile then slowly it allowed me to increase and we made it to 3800 I kept her there all the way home about five miles. She started at the mooring and again in the morning. A couple of gurus advise I have carb blockage but it was an extremely warm day and i wondered if I was the victim of vapourisation? Your thoughts would be welcome also is there any pruduct out there that I could use that would flush my system to clear?

J

The best way to clean your carbs is to remove and strip them, as for flushing the fuel system I'm sure STP make a product you add to the tank.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2009, 06:26   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I quite liked that engine when I had one, but similarly, I had carb trouble, but my problem was a little different in that when throttling up from rest, particularly when pulling a skier, it just killed it, but it only did it when hot, I think it took some jet or mixture adjustments to cure it, and was running a little lean IIRC. When the engine was new it was fine, it seemed to develop after 2-3 years of age for some reason HTH
Old 02 July 2009, 07:14   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
A couple of gurus advise I have carb blockage but it was an extremely warm day and i wondered if I was the victim of vapourisation?
Vapor lock? I thought that usually happened when you shut down, then tried to restart. Residual heat causes fuel to boil, and the carbs can't pump vapor (or something like that.)

jky
Old 02 July 2009, 09:04   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I quite liked that engine when I had one, but similarly, I had carb trouble, but my problem was a little different in that when throttling up from rest, particularly when pulling a skier, it just killed it, but it only did it when hot, I think it took some jet or mixture adjustments to cure it, and was running a little lean IIRC. When the engine was new it was fine, it seemed to develop after 2-3 years of age for some reason HTH
Tx Bigmuz I like the engine but I have know developed a mistrust. Can i check that you made the mixture richer and that cured it?

Billy
Old 02 July 2009, 09:05   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Tx Bigmuz I like the engine but I have know developed a mistrust. Can i check that you made the mixture richer and that cured it?

Billy
Forgot to say that one of the engineers i was talking to was advising me to switch to Honda, I see you now have one can I ask how you rate it?
Billy
Old 02 July 2009, 09:31   #7

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Sorry to hear you've got problems too Billy.

Do you think there's a virus going round? Personally, I'd blame the beavers.

If I don't get my Merc fixed properly (fingers crossed), I'd go for a new Honda. The local fish farmers here reckon they're the only ones worth having. After watching how the Easdale ferry skippers have to maneouvre their boats, I reckon those Honda's must be bulletproof.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Old 02 July 2009, 12:28   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Sorry to hear you've got problems too Billy.

Do you think there's a virus going round? Personally, I'd blame the beavers.

If I don't get my Merc fixed properly (fingers crossed), I'd go for a new Honda. The local fish farmers here reckon they're the only ones worth having. After watching how the Easdale ferry skippers have to maneouvre their boats, I reckon those Honda's must be bulletproof.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Hi Tony many thanks for your message. I was up passed you on Tues took the M in law up to the KK for lunch needless to say by car!! saw your Rib but no sign of your good self.
Funny enough have not seen any signs of the beavers and strangely there is not a lot of talk about them in Knapdale.
Thanks for the bit re Honda certainly I am getting a lot of nudges towards them and I also have heard that the fishfarmers think there great. I had been talking to Colin Robertson of Arddoran and he has a large fishfarmer customer base. It is all down to getting a service up here they are obliging but always and correctly put their franchise customers first.
A well away to buy a lotto ticket.
Hope you are back on the water soon.

Billy
Old 02 July 2009, 17:04   #9

Quote:

Billy
Well when its at idle it uses a different jet in the carb, IIRC and when the throttle opens, the mixture needs to be enriched as the load increases, otherwise not enough power is developed and the engine stalls, that motor has three carb sections, could be the main jets are set too lean.

BUT .. could be a fuel pump too .. try sqeezing the fuel bulb as the power loss is happeneing and see if that makes a difference.

I take it all six pots are getting a good spark ?

Quote:
Forgot to say that one of the engineers i was talking to was advising me to switch to Honda, I see you now have one can I ask how you rate it?
Billy
TBH its too early to say for the amount of running I've done, it certainly hasnt missed a beat so far, but ofcourse its a four stroke compared to your 2 smoke so you would see some running improvements straight away, such as perfect hot starting, and certainly no carb or fuel probs as it is injected, and no oil to buy

The Honda 90 is a four pot (same as the Honda 135) and runs rough and harsh compared to my last straight six verado, which you couldnt even hear when you turned it on youd probably say that too if you compared the Honda to your V6 block, although the V6 runs quite noisily as the 2 stroke or optimax too, at full bung (both of which I had) it had a certain 'song' to it that the Honda does not have, that said theres more to a motor than the way it sounds .. think they are 5 year warranty now too
Old 02 July 2009, 19:16   #10

RIBase
Tx Bigmuz
No the bulb was firm during the 'snag'. I had thoght it maybe needing new plugs as the ones are 2 years old as I have not been using iot as much as I should in fact I have only done 10 hours in 2 years.
Thanks for info on the Honda am I correct that you say it is noisy?

Billy
Old 02 July 2009, 19:25   #11

Quote:
Thanks for info on the Honda am I correct that you say it is noisy?

Billy
Depends what you compare it to.. but after 2 V6's and particularly the Verado its not a fair comparison. So,.. thats why I said what I did above. Its not 'noiser' .. but just doesnt sound as good because its a 4 pot

BTW I am no 2 stroke guru, others might offer better info Billy, but if your 135 is on form , theres not a lot goes wrong with that motor and is a smooth operator
Old 10 August 2009, 10:51   #12

RIBase
Well folks mystery solved it was the diaphragm so renewed that put in new filters and plugs and she was singing down the loch yesterday pity I had to wait all of my holiday to get it back on the water. Thanks for all your comments.

J