Click Here to Login

Old 21 March 2012, 18:16   #1

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
Mariner 5hp 2S - Fuel Shut Off Valve Problem?

A minor issue I found with our recently purchased 2003 Mariner 5hp, was that the fuel switch (internal/external-Cut off) was really stiff, and also the nearby pipes were leaking fuel very slightly.

Ordered some new fuel hose, a new fuel filter and hose clips and replaced all of those, and at the same time removed the fuel switch and gave it a complete clean and lube, which freed it up nicely.

Hit a minor problem in that there appear to be a little washer with a mesh filter across it in the "bubble" bit of the fuel switch. The mesh had broken up slightly, so I just removed the mesh, but left the washer in place when reassembled. I THINK all the mesh would do would be to filter any muck coming in from an external fuel tank.

All worked well, with no leaks... the only issue is that I ran the engine then turned the fuel tap off, expecting it to stop fairly quickly. It didn't.
Let it run for about 3 minutes or so, but still didn't stop.

How quickly would you expect it to stop? Was it just running on fuel still in the carb/fuel filter, or do you think that the fuel tap is no longer actually stopping the fuel?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as ever!
Old 21 March 2012, 18:29   #2

Town: dundee
Boat name: harika
Make: compass
Length: under 3m
Engine: mariner 4 hp 2 strok
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAinZ View Post
A minor issue I found with our recently purchased 2003 Mariner 5hp, was that the fuel switch (internal/external-Cut off) was really stiff, and also the nearby pipes were leaking fuel very slightly.

Ordered some new fuel hose, a new fuel filter and hose clips and replaced all of those, and at the same time removed the fuel switch and gave it a complete clean and lube, which freed it up nicely.

Hit a minor problem in that there appear to be a little washer with a mesh filter across it in the "bubble" bit of the fuel switch. The mesh had broken up slightly, so I just removed the mesh, but left the washer in place when reassembled. I THINK all the mesh would do would be to filter any muck coming in from an external fuel tank.

All worked well, with no leaks... the only issue is that I ran the engine then turned the fuel tap off, expecting it to stop fairly quickly. It didn't.
Let it run for about 3 minutes or so, but still didn't stop.

How quickly would you expect it to stop? Was it just running on fuel still in the carb/fuel filter, or do you think that the fuel tap is no longer actually stopping the fuel?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as ever!
not an expert , but on my mariner 4 hp 2 stroke when i turn off fuel ,to run carb dry it takes about three minutes to engine cut out ? hope this info helps , i am sure someone will come along and agree
harry
Old 21 March 2012, 18:58   #3

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
its just running on what is in the carbureter, that is normal, as an aside a lot of people with those small OBMs dont know about that filter in the fuel tap so it gets missed for cleaning.
Old 21 March 2012, 21:15   #4

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
I reckon the previous owner definitely forgot about that filter by the state of it!

Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement fuel tap filter by itself?
Old 22 March 2012, 09:22   #5

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
as far as i know you have to buy the complete tap but give Robby a ring or a pm at blackdog marine.
Old 22 March 2012, 09:56   #6

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Ribs marine
Old 22 March 2012, 16:05   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It'll run for quite a while after fuel shutoff. You need to either burn off the fuel left in the bowls (and perhaps some in the fuel lines) to the point where the fuel pump can't overcome the vaccuum created by the blockage (either the quick-disconnect dry-break connector or fuel shutoff valve.) Depending on configuration it can be closer to 5 minutes.

jky