Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 March 2018, 05:16   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stornoway
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 50 hp
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Mariner 50 hp on SR4 advice

Hi everyone, first post here and first RIB too.

I've just purchased an Avon SR4 with an ex RNLI Mariner 50, I initially thought that this would be a great set up but I've come to the conclusion that this is actually a short shaft engine.


https://imgur.com/a/YB9zb

Looks to me like the cavitation is and inch or two too high.

Looking for some advice on if I'm correct and is it even worth trying to use this engine or should I start looking for a long shaft?
__________________

__________________
sarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2018, 06:03   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarran View Post
Hi everyone, first post here and first RIB too.

I've just purchased an Avon SR4 with an ex RNLI Mariner 50, I initially thought that this would be a great set up but I've come to the conclusion that this is actually a short shaft engine.


https://imgur.com/a/YB9zb

Looks to me like the cavitation is and inch or two too high.

Looking for some advice on if I'm correct and is it even worth trying to use this engine or should I start looking for a long shaft?
yep defo short shaft if its resting on top of the transom
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2018, 06:22   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stornoway
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 50 hp
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Yea don't think it'll sit any lower on the transom, any advice on actually using this engine or is it not even worth trying?
__________________
sarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2018, 06:37   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarran View Post
Yea don't think it'll sit any lower on the transom, any advice on actually using this engine or is it not even worth trying?
it will cavitate badly and not perform as it should you need a long shaft bud sorry worth ebaying it and see what's around long shaft wise
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2018, 07:03   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Make: Avon 310
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 278
I've got a mariner 60hp Long Shaft that would be perfect on that.

Trouble is I'm/it's in Hampshire.

PM me if interested. I haven't started advertising it yet.
__________________
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2018, 07:12   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stornoway
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 50 hp
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks for the offer, think I'll try and find something local first but I'll keep you in mind.
__________________
sarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2018, 07:19   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Make: Avon 310
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 278
Understood, shame as it's worth considering
__________________
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2018, 00:34   #8
Member
 
samt's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 872
RIBase
RNLI ran special legs that were 17.5", inbetween short and longshaft. You can see the extension here:

And also attached are the longshaft and shortshaft version of the same engine: (they are tohatsu based engines with Mariner decals).

EP Barrus did the modifications for the RNLI, so a possibility is to buy another leg extention, a long driveshaft, a long water pickup pipe and a long gear shift shaft.

This will give you a longshaft (20") which is what the searider is designed for. I wouldnt cut the transom as the sr4 sits low in the water. They definately flood with a 5" cut out for a shortshaft, a 2.5" cut out wouldnt be much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_063230.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	123691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malaysia_DISCOUNT_New_Tohatsu_MD50B2EPTOL_Outboard_Motor_Store2013851239376.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	123692   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_86.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	123693  
__________________
samt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2018, 00:53   #9
Member
 
Andy JC's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
I've got a mariner 60hp Long Shaft that would be perfect on that.

Trouble is I'm/it's in Hampshire.

PM me if interested. I haven't started advertising it yet.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I think the max HP for an SR4 is 50.
__________________
Andy JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2018, 06:04   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,716
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
RNLI ran special legs that were 17.5", inbetween short and longshaft. You can see the extension here:

And also attached are the longshaft and shortshaft version of the same engine: (they are tohatsu based engines with Mariner decals).

EP Barrus did the modifications for the RNLI, so a possibility is to buy another leg extention, a long driveshaft, a long water pickup pipe and a long gear shift shaft.

This will give you a longshaft (20") which is what the searider is designed for. I wouldnt cut the transom as the sr4 sits low in the water. They definately flood with a 5" cut out for a shortshaft, a 2.5" cut out wouldnt be much better.
And will cost more than the motor is worth.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.