Old 17 June 2011, 13:33   #11

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Would I be right in saying that the MOD and RNLI make the same or at least very similiar modifications to there outboards? that would explain why the Mechi thought it was an ex RNLI.

Thanks for the info Turbo. Its a great engine, lots of power and has served me well. Got me back to safety more than once

Old 28 June 2011, 16:29   #12

Right, finally got the new impeller. popped the lower case off, opened the impeller housing and took the old impeller out. Installed the new one and reinstalled the housing.

I tried turning the drive shaft and its very stiff so much so that when I try to pull the pull start ( very very slowly, in neutral, kill cord out and turned off ) it wont budge!!!! So off came the lower case and back to the shed I went.

Took the new impeller out and put the old one back in. Tightend up the housing and turned the drive shaft with my hand with ease. Checked the size of the new impeller and it is identical to the one that came out, same height, width everything.

Is it supposed to be so stiff until the impeller is run in or am I doing something wrong?????

Very confused by this, been in the shed for the past 2 hours scratching my head. If I dont tighten the 4 bolts on the water pump housing then its no problem lol but as soon as I tighten the bolts with the new impeller in it gets tight.

Oh and I've used grease to install the impeller as per the manual instructions

Old 28 June 2011, 17:46   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscott View Post
Is it supposed to be so stiff until the impeller is run in or am I doing something wrong?????

Very confused by this, been in the shed for the past 2 hours scratching my head. If I dont tighten the 4 bolts on the water pump housing then its no problem lol but as soon as I tighten the bolts with the new impeller in it gets tight.

Oh and I've used grease to install the impeller as per the manual instructions
Something isn't quite right. When you install the impeller (assuming it's absolutely identical to the existing one), does it locate on the woodruff key on the driveshaft? Lube up the impeller and the water-pump housing with a suitable marine grease. Turn the driveshaft clockwise and the impeller blades will fold as you put pressure on the housing. The bolts have to be tight.

Is the gear box okay - regards the gear oil level and condition, with no emulsification? If it's contaminated with water then the oil has the appearance of custard. It should be the colour of honey. Apologies for the food-related descriptions - but you get the general idea.
Old 28 June 2011, 18:16   #14

Hi Spartacus.

Yep. Bought yamaha marine grease today to do the job. the woodruff/drive key is in the right place. The impeller sits flush on the bottom washer. gearbox oil is spot on (checked today) All boxes ticked everything is in the right place but as soon as I tighten the bolts the drive shaft becomes stiff as if the impeller is been sqaushed inside the housing.

I have a theory as too why the drive shaft moves so freely with the old impeller in it....Its missing 2 fins so theres less resistance.... I think.

Ive found a complete replacement housing unit for 60 and Im very tempted to go with that as it has all the o rings, gaskets and a new housing.
Old 04 July 2011, 15:22   #15

Just an update on my impeller, bought a water pump rebuild kit which came with gaskets o rings, housing,washers etc.... AND IT WORKS!!!!

Thanks to all for the help and guidance, much appreciated