Old 17 July 2013, 11:51   #1

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Mariner 15hp 2 stroke

Hello, first request for assistance.

I purchased a mariner 15 four months ago second hand from a dealer. 2006 one previous owner who had apparently used or for around 50 hrs. It had to have carb clean new impeller plugs as gummed up. Saw it running fine after the work. New petrol , stabiliser @ 100:1 as per mechanics instruction. I'm not familiar with tiller gear shift, but went through starting routine three pumps on idle knob leave out and attempt start. No joy. After playing about with idle rotation knob got it whimpering. 30 mins later got it whimpering and put onto hear ran it, for a couple of minuets but every time I returned it to neutral it died and didn't want to restart. Got it going again but same story.
Air vent open and checked bulb which remained firm. Ring any bells is this me or the engine.
Thanks for reading.

Old 17 July 2013, 12:31   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Hello, first request for assistance.

I purchased a mariner 15 four months ago second hand from a dealer. 2006 one previous owner who had apparently used or for around 50 hrs. It had to have carb clean new impeller plugs as gummed up. Saw it running fine after the work. New petrol , stabiliser @ 100:1 as per mechanics instruction. I'm not familiar with tiller gear shift, but went through starting routine three pumps on idle knob leave out and attempt start. No joy. After playing about with idle rotation knob got it whimpering. 30 mins later got it whimpering and put onto hear ran it, for a couple of minuets but every time I returned it to neutral it died and didn't want to restart. Got it going again but same story.
Air vent open and checked bulb which remained firm. Ring any bells is this me or the engine.
Thanks for reading.
Check the idle mixture screw at the font of the carb, usually behind a small plastic cap on the airbox. Should be 1-1/2 - 1 3/8 turns out.

Old 17 July 2013, 14:35   #3

Thanks samt

Can't see it on initial inspection, will need to see of I can find some more pics or diagram.
Old 17 July 2013, 14:53   #4

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Mine did this last weekend, Found out it was the fuel pump diaphram. Probably not your problem just thought i would mention it. Also mine is alot older than yours.
Old 17 July 2013, 15:12   #5

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
Just to be clear. new petrol now or 15 months ago ?.
Old 17 July 2013, 16:44   #6

New petrol today, made sure tank was clean..I was told four months ago all fuel pump carb cleaned, has not moved for past four months.
Old 17 July 2013, 16:45   #7

Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Thanks samt

Can't see it on initial inspection, will need to see of I can find some more pics or diagram.
No. 25 on the diagram. Some engines have an airbox with an access hole covered by a plastic cap, some don't. Turn it in till it lightly seats then turn it out 1 1/2 turns.

Carb may need cleaning again if its been sat with fuel in for 4 months. You can't drain these carbs without removing them.

One thing you could try is raising the fuel tank so that its level or above the top of the engine, if this improves running then its likely to need a fuel pump diapraghm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15594.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	82967  
Old 17 July 2013, 17:16   #8

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post

One thing you could try is raising the fuel tank so that its level or above the top of the engine, if this improves running then its likely to need a fuel pump diapraghm.

+1 What i did and found the problem. Worth replacing anyway for 20 as x2 engines have let me down at sea because of faulty diaphrams
Old 17 July 2013, 17:35   #9

I did have the fuel tank on the ground. On stopping it four months ago I did run it dry until it died without fuel line. Thanks for the suggestions I will give them ago tomorrow .
Old 18 July 2013, 06:50   #10

As I was off work today, decided to do the 60mile round trip to the dealer. Of course Sod's law, straight in the tank and started and ran. Slight adjustment to the tick over screw possibly for my benefit . If this was all due to 3.5 months of standing since service, I would be interested to know what others do as far as start up and run routines if the boats not in regular use. Two strokes I have had on hard boats on moorings come to think of it I have usually ended up running every couple of weeks. People must have auxiliaries etc that get limited use? Thanks for the help