Old 17 July 2013, 15:51   #1

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Mariner 15hp 2 stroke

Hello, first request for assistance.

I purchased a mariner 15 four months ago second hand from a dealer. 2006 one previous owner who had apparently used or for around 50 hrs. It had to have carb clean new impeller plugs as gummed up. Saw it running fine after the work. New petrol , stabiliser @ 100:1 as per mechanics instruction. I'm not familiar with tiller gear shift, but went through starting routine three pumps on idle knob leave out and attempt start. No joy. After playing about with idle rotation knob got it whimpering. 30 mins later got it whimpering and put onto hear ran it, for a couple of minuets but every time I returned it to neutral it died and didn't want to restart. Got it going again but same story.
Air vent open and checked bulb which remained firm. Ring any bells is this me or the engine.
Thanks for reading.
Old 17 July 2013, 16:31   #2

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Hello, first request for assistance.

I purchased a mariner 15 four months ago second hand from a dealer. 2006 one previous owner who had apparently used or for around 50 hrs. It had to have carb clean new impeller plugs as gummed up. Saw it running fine after the work. New petrol , stabiliser @ 100:1 as per mechanics instruction. I'm not familiar with tiller gear shift, but went through starting routine three pumps on idle knob leave out and attempt start. No joy. After playing about with idle rotation knob got it whimpering. 30 mins later got it whimpering and put onto hear ran it, for a couple of minuets but every time I returned it to neutral it died and didn't want to restart. Got it going again but same story.
Air vent open and checked bulb which remained firm. Ring any bells is this me or the engine.
Thanks for reading.
Check the idle mixture screw at the font of the carb, usually behind a small plastic cap on the airbox. Should be 1-1/2 - 1 3/8 turns out.
Old 17 July 2013, 18:35   #3

Thanks samt

Can't see it on initial inspection, will need to see of I can find some more pics or diagram.
Old 17 July 2013, 18:53   #4

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Mine did this last weekend, Found out it was the fuel pump diaphram. Probably not your problem just thought i would mention it. Also mine is alot older than yours.
Old 17 July 2013, 19:12   #5

Town: gloucestershire
Just to be clear. new petrol now or 15 months ago ?.
Old 17 July 2013, 20:44   #6

New petrol today, made sure tank was clean..I was told four months ago all fuel pump carb cleaned, has not moved for past four months.
Old 17 July 2013, 20:45   #7

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks samt

Can't see it on initial inspection, will need to see of I can find some more pics or diagram.
No. 25 on the diagram. Some engines have an airbox with an access hole covered by a plastic cap, some don't. Turn it in till it lightly seats then turn it out 1 1/2 turns.

Carb may need cleaning again if its been sat with fuel in for 4 months. You can't drain these carbs without removing them.

One thing you could try is raising the fuel tank so that its level or above the top of the engine, if this improves running then its likely to need a fuel pump diapraghm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15594.jpg
Views:	4033
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	82967  
Old 17 July 2013, 21:16   #8

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post

One thing you could try is raising the fuel tank so that its level or above the top of the engine, if this improves running then its likely to need a fuel pump diapraghm.

+1 What i did and found the problem. Worth replacing anyway for £20 as x2 engines have let me down at sea because of faulty diaphrams
Old 17 July 2013, 21:35   #9

I did have the fuel tank on the ground. On stopping it four months ago I did run it dry until it died without fuel line. Thanks for the suggestions I will give them ago tomorrow .
Old 18 July 2013, 10:50   #10

As I was off work today, decided to do the 60mile round trip to the dealer. Of course Sod's law, straight in the tank and started and ran. Slight adjustment to the tick over screw possibly for my benefit . If this was all due to 3.5 months of standing since service, I would be interested to know what others do as far as start up and run routines if the boats not in regular use. Two strokes I have had on hard boats on moorings come to think of it I have usually ended up running every couple of weeks. People must have auxiliaries etc that get limited use? Thanks for the help
Old 18 July 2013, 11:52   #11

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
As I was off work today, decided to do the 60mile round trip to the dealer. Of course Sod's law, straight in the tank and started and ran. Slight adjustment to the tick over screw possibly for my benefit . If this was all due to 3.5 months of standing since service, I would be interested to know what others do as far as start up and run routines if the boats not in regular use. Two strokes I have had on hard boats on moorings come to think of it I have usually ended up running every couple of weeks. People must have auxiliaries etc that get limited use? Thanks for the help
My Yam 15hp just gets a wash down, run on the muffs and left to run dry of fuel & shoved in the shed!
Did this last August as usual & started up just fine earlier this month as ever.
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 17:59   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post

My Yam 15hp just gets a wash down, run on the muffs and left to run dry of fuel & shoved in the shed!
Did this last August as usual & started up just fine earlier this month as ever.
Same here...
Old 18 July 2013, 18:41   #13

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
+1
but it does help if you know a good marine mechanic ...well a half decent one at least
Old 18 July 2013, 18:58   #14

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
2004 Mercury 15 2 stroke. Flush wash & let it run out of fuel, always done it with all my engines & never had an issue! I always like a fresh fuel mix though
Old 18 July 2013, 21:26   #15

I was wondering if people add stabilisers to fuel
Old 18 July 2013, 21:28   #16

Or power guard type sprays to carbs?
Old 18 July 2013, 21:30   #17

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As above, always flushed, run dry on fuel and come winter lay up additionally plugs out, squirt of oil in the cylinders, a few cranks and its goodnight Vienna...

No point in stabilising fuel, run it dry and bung the unused fuel in the lawn mower or car.
Old 20 July 2013, 13:45   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
By chance just started my 2001 Mariner 15 2-stroke an hour ago after exactly a year laid up. Fuel 2ys old, primed tank bulb, idle to fast and 3 pulls of the prime lever. Just one light pull and it started.

Of course I'm logged in here because I noticed something else weird I'll post about later.
Old 20 July 2013, 14:32   #19

It seems to me that if there are problems they are often put down to gummed up carbs, jets varnishing etc, but some don't seem to have those same problems without taking any preventative measures. Same engines similar years. is it bit like going to your Doctor and being told there is a lot of it about?
Old 26 July 2013, 16:12   #20

It's been a week since I last started the mariner and its stood on its trolley. Conscious of its recent starting problem and the reason being given, I put it in my water bin and connected the fuel, primed the bulb,opened air vent, three pulls on idle knob, turned to fast idle and it started fourth pull. Every time I attempted to reduce fast idle it wanted to die. Put it in gear seemed to run smoothly, but even after forty five minutes it still was not wanting to idle for long without me putting in gear or fast idle rotation. Last week idle was fast with the screw having been adjusted but today whimpering Slow idle and shaky. Stopped engine for two minutes restarted after several pulls, seemed to want to just cut out but breathlessly continued in neutral.
Have I been spoilt by my previous outboards or does this sound OK?
Very appreciative of any comments .Thanks