Old 10 August 2013, 15:29   #41

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Two hour round trip today to pick up the mariner. Dealer busy so I didn't get to discuss much or see the engineer. No ultrasonic clean but carb apparently stripped and put in part bath, I think that's what he said. They had it running and stopped and running for 40 minutes , and my petrol had gone down. Put it straight in the car and home. once back straight into the water bin,fuel connected bulb primed air vent open,three pulls on idle knob, left out and turned to fast , second pull it started, ran and stopped, did the same again , got it into gear and stopped. Started on fast idle , it didn't run for seconds before stopping. Phone dealer, when're through starting with engineer on phone, various attempts at idle knob out a bit but stopped. Engineer completely bemused talked about having to talk to manufacturer . I have lots all confidence in this engine keeping me safe out at sea. Lucky I have Monday off to do the two hour round trip again. I don't know whether to cry or cry. Any help in what I should be saying to the dealer on Monday gratefully received.
Old 10 August 2013, 15:36   #42

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
If you're absolutely sure it's the engine at fault and no error on your part I'd waste no more time with the dealer and take some professional legal/consumer advice and then write to the dealer with full details setting out your case and required outcome. I would suggest the best outcome for you will be a polite request for a full refund and if they are not in agreement again a firm but polite instruction that legal proceedings will follow detailing exactly why (ie goods not fit for purpose etc). This is all very easy to do at minimal cost online.

Start here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/consumer_e
Old 10 August 2013, 16:11   #43

Thank you Max. One thing that may be irrelivent. When I disconnect the fuel and start it, it seems to run better and then I guess as it burns the fuel left in the carb and fuel bowl, engine races. I think I am probably going to have the conversation with the dealer. I purchased it with the quicksilver 340 air deck. So I will talk to him about options. I think they only have a newish 5 hp in stock, bit of a come down on the 15. I will see what response I get. They have been supportive up until now, and this is the third boat I have bought from them.
Old 10 August 2013, 16:18   #44

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Just buy this:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/heads-u...tml#post561776

Best lightweight SIB engine ever, hit 18 kts with mine today on the 3.4m.
Old 10 August 2013, 16:26   #45

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Again i can reccomend fairweather and samt knows his stuff
Old 10 August 2013, 18:45   #46

The fact that they had the engine running without problem appears to suggest that the problem is not one of fuel or diaphragm . I would buy another engine, but I have to do something with this one, not sure what response I am going to get on Monday.