Old 24 April 2016, 11:57   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Mariner 15 carburetor clean

2005 2 stroke version. Thinking the carb is due a clean. Are these easy enough to take apart? Also thinking about the fuel filter. Stupid question but do you replace the filter or clean it? Good to know these things before I take it to pieces
Old 24 April 2016, 12:02   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Simon, I think there is a topic or two on this somewhere - either Fenlander or myself posted some stuff IIRC and the manual links and service pages will be on there.
Easy to do - generally though you'll probably find it spotless and wish you had not bothered. If it has always run 100% I'd leave it alone.

The fuel filter unscrews and you rinse it out in clean fuel - it can be very tight to undo. I use an additional disposable in-line filter by the tank - only a few quid.
Old 24 April 2016, 12:37   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep here it is...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mariner...aul-67565.html
Old 24 April 2016, 12:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Hi Simon, I think there is a topic or two on this somewhere - either Fenlander or myself posted some stuff IIRC and the manual links and service pages will be on there.
Easy to do - generally though you'll probably find it spotless and wish you had not bothered. If it has always run 100% I'd leave it alone. I always run it dry at the end of every trip.

The fuel filter unscrews and you rinse it out in clean fuel - it can be very tight to undo. I use an additional disposable in-line filter by the tank - only a few quid.
Many thanks, it is running 100%, I just thought it's one of those jobs I ought to do. Leave it alone i think! Cheers for the advice on the fuel filter, yes it is a bugger to unscrew!

One of the local fishermen was checking the motor out last week. He said he preferred to have the gear selector on the side because that way you can give it a damp good revving up in neutral before you set off. I must admit I have lifted the lid and done exactly the same before. You can't do that with the gear selector and throttle on the tiller. But, on the flip side I prefer to sit the wrong side of the outboard when helming. No idea why, just a bad habit I got into. And that's no good if the gear selector is on the other side of the engine. Love this engine to pieces, it clearly packs a big punch for a 15hp, it's quiet and definitely something to look after very carefully..
Old 24 April 2016, 12:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ideal, many thanks. See my other post, I am going to leave it well alone until winter, it's working 100%.

These outboards state a 100:1 oil mix. I have been running it on 75:1 up until now because I was using up a bottle of non quicksilver 2 stroke oil of unknown quality. Now I'm using quicksilver is it safe to run it 100:1? Or is it better in the long run to run it with a bit more lube.

Cheers

Simon
Old 24 April 2016, 14:37   #6

Best 15hp SIB engine out there IMHO - the tilt/trim (no lever groping needed) is genius, the built in gear shift/tiller is so nice to have (thought I'd hate it but a total convert), build quality is so much nicer than most and it's the lightest 15 2-smoke going.

I'd *definitely* not touch the carb if it has never let you down.

I use 75:1.
Old 24 April 2016, 14:42   #7

Some useful (Merc/Mar 15) links and things to check:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/reachin...tml#post631280

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mercury...nge-62410.html

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mariner...pin-61712.html
Old 24 April 2016, 15:04   #8

That last link is handy, the tilt lock on mine is a bit flakey so I'll check that out. But it's so handy having the shallow water settings, especially where we use the boat. Do the 25 and 30hp versions have all these features, if they do then they are the 'holy grail' engines for me, rather than the crazy price tohatsu engines.