Old 29 July 2016, 15:18   #11

Town: Bristol
Boat name: N/A
Make: HONWAVE
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner 10hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Another avenue... if you pull the plugs after trying to start (before trying Jeff's tip) are they bone dry or wet with fuel... that will give you a big clue.
If the plugs are wet with fuel but the plugs appear to be sparking, what's the next step? Thanks!

Old 29 July 2016, 15:23   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
I would do a compression test and a cost analysis on a new CDI unit and any other stuff suspect then have a think is it worth it if it has been messed with it could be a can of worms. Or use your 6 hp your on the water then and have it as a strip down project not spending till you know if it's worth it you have the skills what can you lose.

Cheer.s

Old 29 July 2016, 15:25   #13

The engine had been set up for controls so only had 1 kill switch - definitely not this since it does spark. I guess I need to establish whether the spark is strong enough.
Old 29 July 2016, 15:27   #14

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>If the plugs are wet with fuel but the plugs appear to be sparking, what's the next step?

Two things... is there *too* much fuel... flooding? Or is the spark at the correct time... timing... usually never altered but you have doubts about its history.

Oh and trying a new pair of plugs wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 29 July 2016, 15:29   #15

Thanks for your help Jeff really is much appreciated. I've just been out to have a look and compression seems strong so far as I can tell (thumb over the hole).

I tried putting the CDI from my runner on earlier but couldn't get a spark at all. Was planning on trying the CDI from the 7.5 but that's in Bristol and I'm in Cornwal. Don't suppose you know whether they are cross compatible, i suspect not although if it's just the ignition system for 2 cylinders i don't know why it wouldn't be the same
Old 29 July 2016, 15:32   #16

I don't know much about its history but the guy seemed really genuine (I know they all do) and I think he said it just stopped running. I'll drop him a message because he was really helpful.

The plugs certainly aren't dripping wet with fuel , so I doubt flooding.
Old 29 July 2016, 15:51   #17

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>> plugs are wet with fuel but the plugs appear to be sparking

Another thought if the spark is present but not brilliant when tested with the plug/s out then under compression the spark may be insufficient to ignite the fuel.

Also are you trying to start with or without choke... and forgive me for asking but do you understand the relationship between raising the idle ( a timing change) priming squirts of fuel with the choke knob via the plunger it operates and then having the choke itself in or out?
Old 29 July 2016, 16:07   #18

What would cause the spark to be weak under compression; solution perhaps new plugs and leads?

I've tried a little bit of everything, choke no choke, primer and easy start. I'm not exactly sure what you mean, as I said I'm pretty new to these engines. I stripped the carb and it all looked good. What I couldn't understand was how the needle distributes the fuel into the carb. There doesn't appear to be any holes in the needle as a conventional motorbike carb had.

I would have thought the engines are relatively simple, Is it just the costs of parts that makes people not bother repairing them?
Old 29 July 2016, 16:24   #19

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Without you've got all the test gear that's appropriate for these things I've found diagnosis more like guesswork. Last year my 135 developed a starting & top end intermittent fault. Did all the usual stuff cleaning carbs,new plugs. All sparking, plenty of fuel etc Took it up to Clyde Outboards turned out to need a new switch pack (160) it has two. Had the carbs stripped and ultrasonically cleaned.
Now runs like a sewing machine !!
The point I'm trying to get across is sometimes it pays to get a professional in if all the obvious stuff comes up blank. A decent marine mechanic is worth every penny but they're not always the least expensive or the easiest to find.
Old 29 July 2016, 16:38   #20

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Nemanda
Make: Aluminium
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp Tohatsu
MMSI: 235065639
When I had motorbikes that wouldn't start and I was struggling to narrow things down I followed all the advice above ie is there a spark are the plugs wet. If they are take the plugs out and put them in the oven. Get them hot. Wear gloves and put back in the cylinder and try to start. If it doesn't start then it's usually the timing that is shot