Old 12 September 2004, 21:10   #21

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tue
Exactly what I was trying to say earlier. A boat with more weight is less likely to roll than a light boat (especially if the tubes don't contact the water). If the boat's primary use is to carry weight in the stern area (dive boat etc) then they are a good idea, just remembering when the boat is not full to drive with more caution.

At the end of the day if they WERE that dangerous they would have stopped selling them years ago.

My original comment about the dangers was in reference to a boat similar to mine with a large hp engine on a light boat with the engine raised for performance. On a standard RIB with a hp up to 100hp they will make a difference. All IMHO of course.
Couldn't agree more, on adequately powered boats they are not needed, but they will help either underpowered boats or overly stern heavy boats (like my avon 4m adventure, which had 2 x 25L petrol tanks against the transom and a double bench seat straight in front of them). Altering the set up was not possible/practical and these made a big difference IMVHO.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the drive with caution when the boat is lightly loaded. People generally speaking these days will not take responsibilty for their own actions and feel the need to blame something/someone else.

regards

colin