Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 October 2009, 18:01   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Lost My Key

I have just come back from a bloody nightmare of day on the boat, you know the ones when everything goes wrong and nothing goes right. Well, as the title says i lost my ignition key, accidently dropped in about 8 inches of water and despite frantically looking had to give up. So you can imagine 25 miles away from the car and trailer with no means of starting the engine i was more than P***ED off. To cut a long story short had to get a lift back to the car at Teignmouth and drive back to the boat (and frozen girlfriend) in Lyme Regis.

So does anyone know if the Yamaha 703 control box has a standard key (one key fits all) or do they have different keys? If there are different keys any idea where i find the key number? or do i have to buy a new ignition key and switch?

Yes, today i have learned a valuable lesson and in future will fit a flotation device and carry a spare. I couldn't go through that hassle again

Cheers guys.
__________________

__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 18:05   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
I have the champagne cork on mine from the bottle which we poured over her on her first launch.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 18:05   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
I have just come back from a bloody nightmare of day on the boat, you know the ones when everything goes wrong and nothing goes right. Well, as the title says i lost my ignition key, accidently dropped in about 8 inches of water and despite frantically looking had to give up. So you can imagine 25 miles away from the car and trailer with no means of starting the engine i was more than P***ED off. To cut a long story short had to get a lift back to the car at Teignmouth and drive back to the boat (and frozen girlfriend) in Lyme Regis.

So does anyone know if the Yamaha 703 control box has a standard key (one key fits all) or do they have different keys? If there are different keys any idea where i find the key number? or do i have to buy a new ignition key and switch?

Yes, today i have learned a valuable lesson and in future will fit a flotation device and carry a spare. I couldn't go through that hassle again

Cheers guys.
If you can remember the number from the key you can just send off for one from Yamaha-or get your nearest dealer to do it.
Otherwise it may be on your ignition barrel if you open the controls up.

You may find if you get the number from the barrel a Yam bike dealer will send off for a key.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 18:05   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Gibbo,

I don't think they are quite one size fits all but I would put money on it that someone here has one that would fit! And I'm sure a helpful Yam dealer could help.

As a temporary fix (or if you loose it again) its pretty simple to "hot wire" it.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 18:12   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Thanks guys for responses, i will have a look tomorrow. Too busy drowning my sorrows with a 3 litre box of wine......life seems good again
__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 18:16   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Thanks guys for responses, i will have a look tomorrow. Too busy drowning my sorrows with a 3 litre box of wine......life seems good again
Have you looked in the box for your keys?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 18:23   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Have you checked in the box for your keys?
Nearly at the bottom, cant see any keys yet..but will let you know if i stumble across them
__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2009, 05:26   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
The boys with Yamaha 703 control boxes, could one of you do me a favour please?

Can you check your keys to see if there are numbers or letters stamped on them as I have taken the ignition barrell out and can see a few markings so kind of hoping that is the key number which i will need to get new keys.

Many thanks.
__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2009, 05:31   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
The boys with Yamaha 703 control boxes, could one of you do me a favour please?

Can you check your keys to see if there are numbers or letters stamped on them as I have taken the ignition barrell out and can see a few markings so kind of hoping that is the key number which i will need to get new keys.

Many thanks.
Just need a screw driver now and you're sorted
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2009, 05:37   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Just need a screw driver now and you're sorted
Jim, would a screwdriver do the trick? It looks quite a simple barrell and was contemplating doing that yesterday but refrained as i thought if it didn't work would cost more having to replace ignition.
__________________

__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.