Old 19 April 2004, 16:56   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Looking for 6 x 5 bhp 2 stroke Yamahas

Hi everybody ,

Those people on the Marine Engine trade may be able to help me here I hope!!
I am looking for 6 x 5bhp 2-stroke long leg Yamaha engines to use as aux engines on my RIBs. Do not want 4-stroke as I am not that convinced that they are that great. You know me and my views about 4-strokes any way. FALCON could not source the two strokes in SAfrica for some reason so I have embarked for a 5bhp Yamy hunt in Europe.
I have been quoted in Greece Euro 1,000/engine from Yamaha direct and in the UK by a friend who's a Yamy authorised dealer and engineer Pounds £600.00/engine.
Any one out there can do me a better price? Will purchase 3 engines right now and 3 by the end of May 2004. All cash
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2004, 08:09   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
Hi everybody ,

Those people on the Marine Engine trade may be able to help me here I hope!!
I am looking for 6 x 5bhp 2-stroke long leg Yamaha engines to use as aux engines on my RIBs. Do not want 4-stroke as I am not that convinced that they are that great. You know me and my views about 4-strokes any way. FALCON could not source the two strokes in SAfrica for some reason so I have embarked for a 5bhp Yamy hunt in Europe.
I have been quoted in Greece Euro 1,000/engine from Yamaha direct and in the UK by a friend who's a Yamy authorised dealer and engineer Pounds £600.00/engine.
Any one out there can do me a better price? Will purchase 3 engines right now and 3 by the end of May 2004. All cash
I don't know any where that you can get Yamahas from, but the Tohatsu range has some decent and cost effective models in the range. I understand that they also make the Merc/mariners small outboards. There are a couple of dealers in Southampton that you could set up a price challenge between. I'll PM you the names if you are interested.

I share your views ( well some of em anyway!) re four strokes but I don't care about my auxillary being a fourstroke as I am not looking for any performance economy from it other than the ability to punch tide

The reasons are that hopefuly it won't be used and it can run on the fuel strait out of the boats tank. I take it the main engines are autolube and the tank holds neat petrol.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2004, 08:39   #3

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Tohasu or even SILVA is fine for me. Both are good little engines and cheap.
Any leads or contact names highly apprecialte.
Many Thanks Stuart

Re main engines all are auto lub but have arranged a small modification (like auto lub system but much simpler) where oil and fuel is mixed automaticaly from the main tanks for the aux engine so you have plenty of fuel for it if need. As you say hope they never need to use the aux engines any way.
Old 21 April 2004, 09:08   #4

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Re main engines all are auto lub but have arranged a small modification (like auto lub system but much simpler) where oil and fuel is mixed automaticaly from the main tanks for the aux engine so you have plenty of fuel for it if need. As you say hope they never need to use the aux engines any way.[/QUOTE]

Manos can you explain this further?
Nick
Old 21 April 2004, 09:21   #5

OK Nick will try although a photo will show it better, but have to wait until the end of the month for that.

Aux engne fuel line is fixed on a seperate 35 ltr fuel oil tank that gets fuel from the main tanks via the fuel water separator with a manual swich. The tank has a flow meter so you know how many ltrs of fuel you filled it with. The same set up is for the oil. When you need to mix both you fill your tank say with 10 ltrs of fuel and you add 100 grms of oil (or something like this). There is no need for pum since both are gravity fed, however both lines have one of these vacum pumps (before the meter) same as the ones you have on the fule lines (in case you need it).
It worked on a GEMINI I had also on my 7mtr FALCON and it will work on these boats.
However, you will have to see the photos I think rather than me trying to explain this in writing to see how it works.
Old 21 April 2004, 09:26   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
heres a couple of other places

Andy Clark at "The Bosun's Mate" http://www.bosunsmate.co.uk/
I've also heard recommendations for Lee Fairweather at Fairweather Marine in Fareham http://www.fairweathermarine.co.uk/
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2004, 09:31   #7

Stuart you've been very helpful. Many Thanks

PS: Send them emails see what they come up with
Old 21 April 2004, 10:46   #8

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
manos,

i've sent you a pm with details of my local tohatsu dealer. he is a good bloke who will look after you (well, he's been good with me anyway )

good luck with your rib hire business

Colin
Old 21 April 2004, 11:22   #9

Cheers Colin. Saw it. I'm on it
Many Thanks
Old 23 April 2004, 11:55   #10

Have to say thatnk you all for your help. It has been great I managed to find 5bhp/2stroke Tohatsus at a BARGAINish price so have now placed the order.
Many Thanks again