Old 04 December 2018, 04:33   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
hi kurt

first its me thats having trouble with my suzuki 25 it had a slew bearing problem to start which was a machining problem suzuki changed the lot and sorted it, i have then a tickover problem which we think is the low pressure pump [disposable] it's one of those problems that does not occur when its at the dealers it's there at the moment so i will report on my thread when i get it sorted having said that i'm on my 5th suzuki and would buy another.
not trying to sway you but all three engines on your list are good although the tohatsu and merc are the same engine tohatsu make the engines for merc up to 30 hp i think maybe 50 hp without looking.
higher displacement is better but at that percentage hardly noticeable i would have thought, for me i would buy two props the standard you get with the engine and a lower pitch for the wakeboard stuff you then have a spare if you damage it during use i carry three 10 1/4 x 10, 11, 12. the 10 gives me real control and a crisp response in rough water so i maintain the plane for longer and easier i would do that for any of the engines anyway, dont forget yamaha too great engines ive had two of them too brilliant.

Old 04 December 2018, 05:19   #12

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Kurt I would treat the dealer's comments with caution. They are far more likely to be based on personal brand bias, profit margin, stock position or telling you what he thinks you want to hear.

I bought my Suzuki 20 Efi a couple of years back from a multi brand dealer who I used as he was my nearest with discounted prices... but boy did he talk a load of rubbish about the outboard.

Like Jeff I can't believe a 6cc difference in cylinder capacity would translate to a noticeable difference in the way the outboard pulls away at low/medium revs. I'd say boat setup, weight carried and most important prop pitch would have a far larger effect.

The only person who would truly know would be an experienced private owner who had both Suzuki and Tohatsu fitted with the same prop pitch using one after the other on the same boat the same day.... and that's pretty unlikely.

My impressions of the Suzuki and the comments of others are all here... Suzuki DF20AS EFI - Impressions and review. . I know we've had a member with the Tohatsu 20 Efi but they wrote very little of it on here.

Although I don't have a comparison with the Tohatsu I can say one thing the Suzuki 20 Efi was excellent for was picking up speed from trolling. Until I was used to it the throttle response was almost too sharp. I know they developed the ECU map to give this snap response more like (or better than) a 2-stroke while allowing the fuel input to reduce once on a steady cruise throttle opening for low fuel usage.

If I was buying again now and choosing between Efi 20hp models I'd look at dealer location... price... and any particular features of the different makes. For example the unique Mercury tiller might suit you or some other feature of another make.

Old 04 December 2018, 08:14   #13

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60/3.5 Hon2.3
MMSI: 239711398
If the new Tohatsu/Merc/Mariner’s have significally better low to midrange grunt than the Suzuki I’d be surprised. Unless of course those six extra cc’s have special powers!

Anyway, working on the assumption the Suzuki has less ‘torqs’, ours had no problems pulling wakeboards, kneeboards, toys etc. on the standard 9 1/4” x 10” prop.

Worth noting though, those Defenders your considering are heavy Mothers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9611.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	127864
Old 04 December 2018, 11:21   #14

Town: Phoenix
Make: Achilles
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp 2T
Thanks guys!

Chipko,

It has to be true. When you look at Tohatsu's website they state "This 20hp battery-less electronic fuel injection four stroke has exceptional torque and top end speed, with low vibration."

When I look up the definition of exceptional I find "ex·cep·tion·al
/ˌikˈsepSH(ə)n(ə)l/Submit adjective unusual; not typical. "crimes of exceptional callousness and cruelty" synonyms: unusual, uncommon, abnormal, atypical, extraordinary, out of the ordinary, rare, unprecedented, unexpected, surprising"

The very last word/synonym is "surprising", just like you said you would be :-). Websites and salesmen never stretch the truth or lie!

To me, at least half the fun of getting any new toy is researching and comparing. Suzuki's are excellent, I have a DRZ400 in the garage that has been bullet-proof. Majority of larger salt water boats I've been seeing out here lately are running Yamaha, followed by Suzuki. If Yamaha had a "modern" offering in this range I would pick it.
Old 05 December 2018, 09:40   #15

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Hi. I have the Tohatsu 20 efi on my F-Rib 360. Fantastic outboard, initially it was underpropped with the standard 9" pitch and would go like a bat out of hell out of the hole but hit the limiter on wot at around 28mph. I went up to a 13 pitch and she now hits the sweet spot at wot, I also add that I've not noticed any difference in hole shot which amazed me. The new prop has a slight cup in it's profile so perhaps gives more grip.

It's a very quiet and smooth runner but with a satisfying growl under hard acceleration. Fuel consumption is amazing; on one run up the river Tay and back covering 51 miles, at mixed throttle speeds, I only used 15ltrs, I had to measure the fuel used twice! (I'm sure the Suzuki is just as frugal) The weight distribution is biased towards the front of the engine which makes for very easy manual tilting, easier than my previous Mariner 15 2 stroke. Hope this info helps. Good luck in your hunt, whichever you decide will not disappoint I hope. This Pic was taken on the Tay trip in March this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020869.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	127880  
Old 06 December 2018, 21:10   #16

Town: Phoenix
Make: Achilles
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp 2T
Thank you Warder54. Sounds like manufacturers may have to begin strengthening their transoms for the Tohatsu's exceptional torque :-)

Kurt