Old 30 January 2013, 20:57   #1

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Late 80's Mariner fuel connector

I'm in need of help again. My fuel tank quick connector seal has given up so I ordered a new connector. It being a mariner engine I assumed a mercury/mariner connector was required however the one that has arrived does not fit. The fuel and locking spigot holes are the correct distance apart and the fuel hole looks to be the same, but the hole for the locking spigot on the new connector is too large and the clip engagement point is not close enough to the engine to lock. Can anyone advise what connector I need? The engine is a 1988ish Mariner 3 cyl 75hp with the 2 part rear hinged cover (clamshell?). Is this a Yamaha built engine?

Thanks again,

Phil M
Old 30 January 2013, 20:59   #2

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
think thro them all out at weekend
Old 31 January 2013, 01:51   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
No, it's a Mercury built engine. I've had the same problem you have but with my Yam-chandlers sold me what they said was the right connector, but it wouldn't fit. Buy the genuine part and it does.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 02:57   #4

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
any merc/mar dealer will find the correct one on their electric parts catulog, just tell them its the engine end
Old 31 January 2013, 10:55   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Another Clamshell owner!

Ahhh, yes - the subtle differences of the "two prong" connectors! Suffice to say That's one of the reasons I standardised on the "twistlock" back when I had a Suz..... that sort of incompatibility was doing my head in!

I think you might even get away with an Evenrude one! I have successfully fed a 1994 'rude 8 using the fixed fuel line off a tank that was supplied with a 1980-ish Mariner 15. The same connector also worked with a 1972 Johnson 20.......

If you have a twistlock on the engine, it may be easier to change the tank connector & standardise. (also means if you take the fuel line off you can connect the in end to the out end & keep the fuel seals in the bore clean)

The twistlock type connector comes in both M & F flavours, and by judicious choice you can either fit a short hose or screw it straight into the top of your tank. Have a look in the "wake shot" thread for a post by me - I think one of the photos shows how I got round it.

Old 31 January 2013, 11:24   #6

I guess I may have to replace the engine connector at this rate. I don't want to change the tank end as I have a few tanks and would need to thange them all. Usually I'd take the old part to a shop and match it up but I don't have that luxury without a 2-3hour round trip (not many chandlers in our area). I've asked the shop I got the item from for their opinion. I guess I could post them the old part to match up.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil M
Old 31 January 2013, 22:57   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
If you have a Clamshell it will probably be easier to find the right flavour of tank connector -chances are you wouldn't be able to get in to release the catch without some cowl surgery.

If you already have multiple tanks sit puts a whole different slant on my suggestion... I started with one tank and being fed up of tripping over the hose every time I filled up...
Old 06 February 2013, 19:27   #8

For all interested, it was a Yamaha connector. I have no idea if it has been swapped on the engine at any point but the yam one fits perfectly.

I'd like to say a big thanks Morgan Marine too, who identified the correct part from a photo and then sent it out, free of charge, and didn't even ask for the first one back. Very impressive service .

Thanks All

Phil