Old 09 June 2016, 06:34   #1

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Kill cord cable

Do you guys think it's ok to extend the kill cord cable as I can't get to my bow bag or seat without pulling it out, or is it short so if you go overboard the motor would cut out before you made contact with the prop
Cheers
Old 09 June 2016, 07:24   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I've put two together one round my leg or i can fasten to my life-jacket to give a bit more movement
Old 09 June 2016, 07:27   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
IMHO, no its not a good idea. one of the times you are most likely to get ejected is when stretching for kit, not looking where you are going, off balance, etc. There is probably a debate how quickly the prop stops spinning and chances of being hit on the first pass, but a longer cord is more likely to foul on something as you go over and therefore fail to work.
Old 09 June 2016, 07:59   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
IMHO, no its not a good idea. one of the times you are most likely to get ejected is when stretching for kit, not looking where you are going, off balance, etc. There is probably a debate how quickly the prop stops spinning and chances of being hit on the first pass, but a longer cord is more likely to foul on something as you go over and therefore fail to work.
agree you should never be off balance kit should be at hand unless you stop and sort but well stowed kit shouldn't need any sorting really,but most kill cord lengths are too short once round my leg and thats it i dont wear it on the wrist because i forget about it when using the chart-plotter and it pulls out no good when your close in shore where i like to go, keeping the engine running is a must in case of a quick response needed.but its down to individual assessments for me chances of hitting the prop going overboard are minimal but i also use a hand hold i have set up forward for my left hand as an added stabilizer [neoprene dog lead] works well in the rough.
i drive right-hand on the tiller sat port tube just me.
Old 09 June 2016, 08:16   #5
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
It sounds like a slippery slope to me, what happens when you upgrade to a 7m?
Old 09 June 2016, 08:41   #6

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Do you wear a LJ, if you do, then attach a D ring, and clip kill cord to that, this gives a little more usability, however if I was stretching to the bow when I had my sib, I always stopped first.
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 09:00   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
but most kill cord lengths are too short once round my leg and thats it i dont wear it on the wrist
jeff makes a good point, if you've got chubby legs and so are losing 30+cm of cord compared to a wrist*, then you might justify "extending"** by a small amount. Attaching to LJ is a good alternative.

* Whilst using a wrist is often shown in manuf. instructions for tiller steered boats, it is not ideal and can come off more easily than you might like. If you want to use your wrist the Jetski world adopt a velcro wristband that the KC clips to.

** But its probably better to do as Jeff does and fit a firm attachment point to your leg rather than extend the cord itself. However I'm a leave it attached to LJ person myself.
Old 09 June 2016, 09:14   #8

RIBase
to clarify IMO one single kill cord lanyard [Suzuki] does not give me enough movement the way i like to drive and operate my electronics with my set up. round my thigh is 27 inches not sure what the lanyard stretches too but its tight and pulls out if i move hence the second lanyard you could if you wish make a strap that just goes round your leg and use one lanyard.when i had my rib i only had one lanyard to my left arm on the throttle the sib is different i find, but my bum never leaves the seat underway and i dont do any shifting of kit etc. in fact no one moves on my boats underway wearing a kill cord or not thats just common sense.being a diver and dropping over the side of many inflatable i know the chance of hitting the prop is minimal IMO even with an extended lanyard, you might risk assess if differently and keep to the one lanyard each to their own in 40 odd years of boating i have never fell out or near to it not that it cant happen but the risk is acceptable to me.best way is to pull the cord next time your out at a decent speed and watch what happens to the prop they dont spin for long also try falling in with your chosen length and see where you are in terms of the prop all to put your mind at rest.
there you go poly is a LJ attached cord his preference and a sound place you could argue the LJ jacket gives more length than my leg so that might be for you, different boats different sitting positions all come into it.but dont have one you can swan about the boat with or you might as well not have one.

cheers
Old 09 June 2016, 09:49   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
As some of you know I'm no shirking violet to say the least. So the way I got round the issue was to attach a small carabiner to the front of my LJ. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 10:15   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
As some of you know I'm no shirking violet to say the least. So the way I got round the issue was to attach a small carabiner to the front of my LJ. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
so categories are wristers, leggers, LJ's
Old 09 June 2016, 10:21   #11

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Interesting debate I have ours on a Velcro wrist strap less likely to slip off as you bail.
Old 09 June 2016, 10:28   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
jeff makes a good point, if you've got chubby legs and so are losing 30+cm of cord compared to a wrist*, then you might justify "extending"** by a small amount. Attaching to LJ is a good alternative.

* Whilst using a wrist is often shown in manuf. instructions for tiller steered boats, it is not ideal and can come off more easily than you might like. If you want to use your wrist the Jetski world adopt a velcro wristband that the KC clips to.

** But its probably better to do as Jeff does and fit a firm attachment point to your leg rather than extend the cord itself. However I'm a leave it attached to LJ person myself.
my chubby legs support my beer belly poly
Old 09 June 2016, 11:09   #13

RIBase
RYA have a bit on kill cords for info the wrist strap HDAV was on about the other one i just picked up from MES advertising Europa boats?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!mEFBOewKnCVBRiTihT(m!--60_35.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	113613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5840.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	113614  
Old 09 June 2016, 12:24   #14

I used a watch strap I had already no chance of it slipping off like the curly strap, did see one snap the other weekend fortunately at the clip end.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111702182245
Old 09 June 2016, 12:30   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We're a cord round the leg family and all skinny so no problems for us
My thought on extending or maybe more specifically joining 2 together is the chance of the extra length or join causing the cord to snag on something on the console or seat ie down the back of the helm or in a seat lid or even behind the control box and snapping before it actually pulls out to kill the engine
I'd say the shorter you can manage with is probably the way to go but maybe better to custom make from one piece of cord rather than joining
Old 09 June 2016, 15:42   #16

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
This set is nice:

Not sure if I can get rid of all of the terminators and connect one valid for my engine
Old 09 June 2016, 16:42   #17

RIBase
Nice set Matt, interestingly i was looking at a wireless set today £300.00 what i did notice was the significant delay where by you have to be in the water to activate and a slight delay before it kills the engine.technology not caught up yet? he did re-start the engine whilst in the water but how that would work when it would be still in gear god knows.
Old 09 June 2016, 17:21   #18

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
In this item mentioned by me I do like that kill cord is floating !!

And this wrist band is floating also.

I do have floating toy tight to key but ones when pull kill cord it pulls also key and key landed on tube (lucky me not out of the boat). So I would like to keep spare kill cord on boat and I'm thinking to tight key somewhere by similar line like this one in this kill cord.

When I jump out of boat I would prefer that crew will have still the key and know where spare kill cord is.
Old 09 June 2016, 18:05   #19

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I use a webbing belt around my waist that my cord is attached to. It primarily was designed to add some weight so the cord hangs down out of the way of the steering wheel, I put the kill switch in a less than ideal position when I did the dash.

Jason
Old 09 June 2016, 18:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatFromPoland View Post
This set is nice:

Not sure if I can get rid of all of the terminators and connect one valid for my engine
That's the jet ski multi set, you can cut off the un used ones if you like just be careful as the Yamaha and Kawasaki ones are very similar........ Slightly different sizes.

There are the Riva racing ones which I happen to have a couple of also http://rivaracing.com/series-208408-...!make%3DYAMAHA

The Yamaha outboard and jetski one are the same the rest I don't know about.