Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 December 2004, 03:44   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 966
George

A couple of things to bere in mind.

1) think about resellerbility, is a Johnson with all there history as attractive when reselling as a Yamaha ? remember boats are a vanity thing !!
2) Reliability is the Johnson going to be as reliable as the Yam
3) After sales prices, Johnson and Evinrude parts tend to be twice the price of anything else on the market.
4) Ease of servicing, no point buying a johnson with warranty if you have to tow it 200 miles to have work or servicing carried out on it, suddenly the bargains not such a bargain any more.
5) Seriously think through the 2 stroke V 4 stroke debate, 2 stroke is due to be phased out soon, will it lose it value as a resell, ease of parts etc.
__________________

__________________
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 08:48   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp mariner
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 134
Thanks Bilge - yes seems johnson is a false economy - since starting this thread have been offered a 4stroke old stock yamaha 50 at 3150 but only 'gas ram' not full PTT - any one experience of these ideally boat needs to be easy to manage by others , or could PTT be retro fitted?

Thanks slimtim - I know kevin mole - intend to keep the boat on the IoW so I'll give him a call
__________________

__________________
George8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 09:10   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
PTT v Gas RAM........

..........forgive the simple analogy.

Would you buy a car without power steering ?

There's plenty of deals to be had out there, you just need to find the right one. There's a severe lack of buyers around at this time of year with a whole lot of sellers desperate for your money, therefore be bold, choose the engine you want and make a couple or 3 dealers an offer. One of 'em will snap your hand off.
__________________
Buy it & Use it, then sell it and buy something bigger
MeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 10:14   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
..........forgive the simple analogy.

Would you buy a car without power steering ?

There's plenty of deals to be had out there, you just need to find the right one. There's a severe lack of buyers around at this time of year with a whole lot of sellers desperate for your money, therefore be bold, choose the engine you want and make a couple or 3 dealers an offer. One of 'em will snap your hand off.

Simple answer is yes, i have an L reg peugeot my wife drives around and it does not have power steering, we manage fine with it and see it as one less thing to go wrong !!

So the question really is " does a 40 hp really need to have PTT"

Answer is no you can manage easilly without ptt on this size of engine, it means less weight on the transom and less to go wrong, when they do go wrong they cost lots.

Retro fitting a ptt on a 40 is going to be a whole world of pain and cost, IMHO its not worth doing !!
__________________
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 10:32   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Ok, Ok.........

......there's always going to be somone who is happy to "manage".

We're talking about buying new, therefore in this position would one buy without ? No. Also, I thought we were talking about a 50hp and there's a heap of difference between the two.

P D would be a good one to offer an opinion on this, I'm sure given the opportunity he's opt for PTT over Ram, every time. What say you Phil ?

Always one for analogys. A car without electric windows in the front
__________________
Buy it & Use it, then sell it and buy something bigger
MeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 12:28   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
P D would be a good one to offer an opinion on this, I'm sure given the opportunity he's opt for PTT over Ram, every time. What say you Phil ?
I'd say if I'd known the slightest thing about RIBs when I bought mine I'd NEVER have gone for the manual trim/tilt version. My Honda hasn't even got gas-assisted lift. Although only a 30hp the engine is damn heavy to lift into the transit position when you approach the slipway, quite apart from the fact that I have to leave the controls, walk to the stern and raise it manually, all of which can get interesting if you've got a bit of a current running close to your docking area.

And that's just the problem with manual tilt. The idea of being able to trim the boat at sea by repositioning that awkwardly placed pin by hand just doesn't happen. In practice I leave the pin in what appears to be the best compromise position and it never moves. I therefore can't trim out in a following sea nor trim in in a head sea, which can be a disadvantage, albeit to a slightly lesser extent with a 4m RIB.
__________________
Phil Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 12:49   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
I agree with Phil here, it can be a right pain in the arse without PT&T, but then again its probably an even worse pain in the arse if it goes wrong!

Tim
__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 16:13   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Thanks Phil........

..........I knew your summation would put a full stop to this debate.
__________________
Buy it & Use it, then sell it and buy something bigger
MeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2004, 03:18   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
I'd say if I'd known the slightest thing about RIBs when I bought mine I'd NEVER have gone for the manual trim/tilt version. My Honda hasn't even got gas-assisted lift. Although only a 30hp the engine is damn heavy to lift into the transit position when you approach the slipway, quite apart from the fact that I have to leave the controls, walk to the stern and raise it manually, all of which can get interesting if you've got a bit of a current running close to your docking area.

And that's just the problem with manual tilt. The idea of being able to trim the boat at sea by repositioning that awkwardly placed pin by hand just doesn't happen. In practice I leave the pin in what appears to be the best compromise position and it never moves. I therefore can't trim out in a following sea nor trim in in a head sea, which can be a disadvantage, albeit to a slightly lesser extent with a 4m RIB.
Yes Phil but as you do say if you had known anything about ribs not only would you have bought PT&T you'd have bought a bigger boat with a bigger engine too........Do the mighty Honda do PT&T for the 30HP ?

I still strongly believe that what you have is a relatively quick superbly unsophisticated craft with superb sea keeping abilities, that delivers a lot of fun, is easilly towable, launchable and recoverable single handedly in any situation, its not pretening to be something its not, break speed records or take on massive across Ocean journeys, it simply is what it is and the combination of the 30HP 4 stroke Honda and boat with its reliability and fuel econnomy is awsome !!!

Now can i have that night hood you keep promising me
__________________
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2004, 05:14   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 970
Interestingly, Honda now only makes a PT/T version of the 30hp. It was introduced about a year ago, presumably due to popular demand

'relatively quick and superbly unsophisticated' - patronising git. What you really mean is 'but not as quick as mine now I've got a shiny new Yamaha 60, and it looks a bit too commercial'
__________________

__________________
Phil Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.