Old 30 October 2009, 16:51   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Johnson 115GL trim problem - stuck up in the air!

Slight problem with my 2 stroke Johnson 115GL (late 90s model)

I trimmed it right up/out today to grease it up, and the damn thing won't go back down, it is jammed in the full-up position

I am guessing it is something to do with the trim sender as it went up till the switch cut in - as usual - but having looked I can't see where or what the switch is that controls the upper limit. There is a trim sensor on the bracket which must be to stop it at the "down" limit but the arm of the sender doesn't touch anything with the motor right up so it can't have any effect as far as I can see.

The book isn't a great deal of help as it shows a line diagram of what looks like a completely different type of switch but not clear on where it is fitted - or rather I don't think there was anything where it looks like it should be, I'm just off back to the boat (with the book this time...) to have another look but when I was looking at it earlier I didn't see anything with obvious electrical connections apart from the trim sender which isn't touching anything.

Any ideas please? It's probably a bit old for most people on here with newer and shinier stuff but I hope somebody might have a brainwave

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 18:03   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Slight problem with my 2 stroke Johnson 115GL (late 90s model)

I trimmed it right up/out today to grease it up, and the damn thing won't go back down, it is jammed in the full-up position
It may be a fault with the tilt limit switch, to get to this you will probably need to pull the bottom cowlings off. The switch is activated by a collar that is mounted on the tilt tube that can be twisted to set the point at which the engine stops tilting this collar has a raise bit that pushes agains the switch that is mounted at the front of the engine underneath.

However one other thing to check is the trim/tilt motor making a noised when you try to trim down? If it is then the problem is hydraulic and is probably due to low oil in the reservoir. I think when the engine is tilted up there will be a filler plug that you can remove then this is about halfway up the reservoir so that you should then fill the oil level until its gets to the bottom of the plug. Some reservoirs can have a level plug as well as a fill plug (rather like a gearbox) so you need to check and see which way yours works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I am guessing it is something to do with the trim sender as it went up till the switch cut in - as usual - but having looked I can't see where or what the switch is that controls the upper limit. There is a trim sensor on the bracket which must be to stop it at the "down" limit but the arm of the sender doesn't touch anything with the motor right up so it can't have any effect as far as I can see.
No this is the sender that operates the gauge on your dash, there is no bottom tilt limit switch. The engine will go down until it hits the adjustment bar across teh bottom of the saddle.

The book isn't a great deal of help as it shows a line diagram of what looks like a completely different type of switch but not clear on where it is fitted - or rather I don't think there was anything where it looks like it should be, I'm just off back to the boat (with the book this time...) to have another look but when I was looking at it earlier I didn't see anything with obvious electrical connections apart from the trim sender which isn't touching anything.

Any ideas please? It's probably a bit old for most people on here with newer and shinier stuff but I hope somebody might have a brainwave

Thanks in advance! [/QUOTE]

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 23:44   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
thanks Chris

Went back to it an hour later armed with the book and the farquing thing worked perfectly

However at least I found the switch, and I now know how it works (exactly as you said) - it was completely hidden by the cowling with the engine fully trimmed up - glad it worked as it would have been a PITA to get to!

I guess the switch must have just been sticky as I trimmed it up and down about 20-30 times against the max limit - now absolutely perfect. Not entirely sure why the switch prevented it from going down - but if it ain't broke....

Thanks for your help, and fingers crossed it was a one off

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote