Old 20 May 2001, 15:01   #1

Town: greece
Send a message via ICQ to alain
JETS

I was told recently by a manufacturer that jets compromise on the deep vee of the hull, which I assume means that they compromise the boats capability in rough weather.

Anyone has a different opinion?

I didnt know that jet powered boats do worst in heavy weather than outdrives .
Old 20 May 2001, 21:29   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
The problem with a jet drive in rough weather, as I understand it, is that if and when the boat gets sufficiently airborne to take the jet intake out of the water you lose all thrust. Whereas if a prop comes out of the water momentarily in doesn't have such a pronounced effect. I believe it is more difficult to maintain speed in a jet boat in the rough than with a prop. You are also not able to trim up or down with a jet wheras you can with a prop/outdrive leg.

This is all received wisdom rather than personal experience but I hope it helps!

Alan
Old 21 May 2001, 14:52   #3

Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Tsunami/Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350hp Volvo Diesel
After talking to Hamilton Jet and also Ocean Dynamics who operate most of their boats with jets they would have you believe that the boats are much better in the rough water than conventional prop boats!!
Apparently this is due to the fact that by dropping the bucket slightly it creates a suction effect and doesn't allow the boat to leave the water. The MOD are also testing Jet driven boats at the moment and have found that there exixting boats with props are left behind in rough condition, while the jet boats seem to get better in these conditions????
Has to be worth having a look at. I'm considering fitting a jet to my next boat.

------------------
Joe
Old 21 May 2001, 17:47   #4

Town: cowichan valley
I would tend to disagree with jet boats being better in the rough water. here in canada jets are used in the river where shallower depths occur and it doesn't get so rough. i would hate to be in a jet in 3 metre seas. i could see it pounding hard do to the dead rise. The cost is way more than outboards as well. I know of a search and rescue boat that was lost killing three members do to lack of manouverability in the surf as well. A jet pump in our waters would plug up do to the debris in the water.
Old 21 May 2001, 22:57   #5

Town: greece
Send a message via ICQ to alain
I am considering a jet too and until recently I was quite enthusiastic about it.

Now I am more and more conserned with the problems of reduced dead rise or the possibility of a choked water intake, plugged due to bottom debris or even sand.

After all, swallow water operation is what attracts most people to Jets.

It would be interesting to hear from commercial operators.
Old 23 May 2001, 20:38   #6

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Having driven several large Jet Boats I must say that I am still unconvinced .

Low speed handling is like Guinness ( an acquired taste ! ) The fancy tricks (Sideways waltzing and stopping in own lenght from 40 knots )that the salesmen show you will rarely if ever be needed in real life and you lose 30% of your engine power output through the jets .

Their only real advantage is that you have no prop to foul if operating in rocky or dodgy areas ( Which I often do in my real job )

We have had a few over here on trial or demo recently . One enthusiastic sales man ignored my advice to take it easy around the harbour with the Jet RIB (I was worried about wash etc ) .

This Chappie opened her up in the middle of Hodson Bay Harbour in about 2 meters of water and promptly hoovered a half ton of harbour mud through his intakes .

Result ........ Boat stops !!! and didn't go for about another hour despite having a Back Flush Feature !

Best wishes

Stuart www.powerboat.org

------------------
www.powerboat.org
Old 23 May 2001, 21:08   #7

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
I was fascinated by the Pulse Drive system displayed at Ribex. I was also pleased to meet the dealer,Lester Pallot, based in Jersey, Channel Islands. It would be well worth your while investigating this ... see also www.pulsedrive.net
Old 24 May 2001, 12:06   #8

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
I have just sold a jet powered BWM 21 and the slow handling once you understand the change from prop is superb, I would agree that in the rough they loose power as the intake leaves the water and can slam a bit, you also need a lot of engine power. I have had to hang over the back/get in, to clear clogged intake many times if you use too much power in shallow depth it will suck the weeds up rocks and all and attach them to your intake like glue. That said I did like the boat and had some great fun in her.