Old 07 November 2002, 23:04   #11

Town: Melbourne
Yikes!

Sounds expensive.

The way I figure it, if you had an outboard, and were sensible, you would go quietly in the shallows anyway, so it doesn't seem to be too much of a disadvantage really. Another option I was investigating was a small hovercraft - but the weight restrictions and inability to handle the surf quickly tossed that idea out the window.

The benefits of a jet would seem to outweigh the negatives at this point, though I really appreciate you drawing my attention to this. I didn't really understand the differences between the impellors - I think a trip down to the local PWC store, for a bit of a squiz at the internals, may now be in order.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 08 November 2002, 04:50   #12

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Greetings Gairndeb
Question, which you might have answered before are you intending to use the jet in the surf??
The reason is that the intake must be in the water to keep drive and stearing. Have seen in some jet boats once they leave the water off the wave (obviasly need to throttle back as normal) no water.
On landing it takes a second or so to pump the water through the system where as other drives there is no lag.

Though if your boat is big enough ( can they ever be ) will the intake be out of the water, do want to fly her!

Old 08 November 2002, 15:54   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
The biggest problem that happens and hids the effectiveness on most water jet boats is the boat builder tries to save money and fit the smallest cheapest unit he can find. Coupled with the fact that most boat builders never go to sea the old saying" there isn't any subsitute for size" is the big issue. If you have a huge jet stuck on the boat which in turn has a massive water capasity you will not have any problems.
If I was building a new boat it would definatly have one (or more!) water jets on the back.
Alan P
Old 08 November 2002, 16:19   #14

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Alan P

There is a 10 meter Cabin rib in a Rib builders near my house and it has twin diesel lumps powering a pair of jets, It was built as a tender for his yacht originally fitted with yammie 170 Hpthe owner was not happy with performance. To date he has had a pair of Yamaha 170's which were taken out and replaced with a pair of 240's which gave him 5 knots more. So he decided to swap these for Yanmar 300's.

When the Rib was on the land Jasper was talking to the guys from the builders. Who told him the saga he suggested to them that the Jets were too small and therefore restricting the thrust. The comment from the builder was something along the lines of "he might be right" They were tiny little things probably not capabale of properly handlin the original 170's let alone the increased output from the bigger engines.
Old 09 November 2002, 07:34   #15

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I rest my case M'Lord