Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 16 February 2007, 16:53   #1

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
It's official, 350 Yamaha and 300 Verado

Even in a down market, new products proliferate at Miami

By IBI Magazine/Michael Verdon

Dyskow was speaking at the launch of Yamaha's F350, the boating industry's first 350-hp V8 5.3-liter four-stroke outboard.

Yamaha's new 350-hp behemoth is designed for boats with lengths up to 40 feet or more. It was designed in collaboration with several of Yamaha's OEM boat builder partners.

"The new engine is a groundbreaking design, with over 600 new components," Dyskow said, during a presentation that featured simulated lightning and thunderbolts—an energetic contrast to some of the traditional presentations earlier.

Dyskow said that companies Grady-White, Pursuit, Edgewater, Century, Sea Hunt, Contender and Scout will take delivery of the engines by summer 2007.

Mercury Marine was not to be outdone, and launched its own slate of eight innovative products, including the Vazer, a new sterndrive system designed for boats traditionally powered by outboards. Mercury President Patrick C. Mackey unveiled the Vazer to a crowd of boating writers, noting that the 100-hp sterndrive engine is built with a compact design. Mackey said the engine uses a patented approach to reduce engine height by tilting the engine to 50 degrees, allowing it to fit under seats, platforms and decks of a variety of boats, including pontoons, fishing boats and runabouts. He said the Vazer will allow boatbuilders to use more space for passengers and gear, and provides improved access to the water compared to traditional sterndrive or outboard engines.

Mercury also launched two new Verado engines, a 200-hp four-cylinder and 300-hp six-cylinder version.
Old 16 February 2007, 17:06   #2

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Hi DIrk, What weight is the 200? That is my max Hp.
Old 16 February 2007, 17:25   #3

Town: Hamble
I'm told it's a little over 230kg's
Old 16 February 2007, 20:04   #4

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
804 lbs for the 350
Wow
Old 16 February 2007, 20:27   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quite why it needs to be such a huge engine is beyond me - 5.3L V8 makes me think of old tech Yank engines. The Ferrari V8 for example puts out 480bhp from 4.4 litres.

Unless of course they have just gone for low down grunt for hauling big boats around at lowish speeds.
Old 16 February 2007, 20:38   #6

Town: Clitheroe
Length: no boat
I should think its so they can tune it for more power in the future.
Old 16 February 2007, 20:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac rover View Post
I should think its so they can tune it for more power in the future.
No doubt it will prob see 400hp but the same bhp/litre figure as the Ferrari engine would see almost 600hp - can't see them pushing it that far!!!
Old 16 February 2007, 20:47   #8

Town: Clitheroe
Length: no boat
Yep, around the 400 mark or more possibly. I don't think they can push it too far because they have to rev for longer and need to be tougher than a Ferrari.
Old 16 February 2007, 20:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac rover View Post
Yep, around the 400 mark or more possibly. I don't think they can push it too far because they have to rev for longer and need to be tougher than a Ferrari.
Good point I suppose - car engines don't live over 1/2 throttle all day long like outboards have to.
Old 16 February 2007, 21:34   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Hmm, 5.3 litres and 32 valves with variable valve timing, wonder how much a full service is
Old 16 February 2007, 23:14   #11

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, 5.3 litres and 32 valves with variable valve timing, wonder how much a full service is
Well maybe they're working of the principle that if you can afford the fuel bill for that engine, you can afford to have it serviced

Andrew
Old 17 February 2007, 12:17   #12

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Quite why it needs to be such a huge engine is beyond me - 5.3L V8 makes me think of old tech Yank engines. The Ferrari V8 for example puts out 480bhp from 4.4 litres.

Unless of course they have just gone for low down grunt for hauling big boats around at lowish speeds.
That is true but only part of the picture, and quite misleading at best
Old 17 February 2007, 12:45   #13

My friend as just got a new Honda diesel he asked why is there only one engine to chouse from
the reply was, only 3% of Honda cars are Diesel and they will not be making another
As the next genaration of engines will all be Bio fuel,
Which is why i think Yamaha are making bigger petrol engine
to replace inboard diesel engine in the future, after all the biggest market in the world for out boards is The USA
i also asked the question in a thread that if the new genaration of two strokes are so good Etec for one.
Why are the big players Yamaha Suzuki Honda etc.
not investing in two strokes.
Old 17 February 2007, 15:03   #14

Honda have never bothered much with diesels - prob because the Yank market used to hate them but they are starting to catch on over there now.

Mercury still make 2 strokes - I would have thought they were a pretty big player.

Finally on bio fuels I think they are the spawn of the devil and hopefully the Greens will eventually realise they do more harm than good. In Mexico for example many poor families are facing starvation as the price of corn has gone up 400% because of it's demand for biofuel. In Indonesia they are ripping up vast amounts of the rainforest to grow coconut palms again for oil Also it is very debatable if these fuels ARE carbon neutral - a lot of energy is used to plant and then harvest and process these crops.
Old 17 February 2007, 18:57   #15

Mercury have not put the investment into two stroke like they have the verrado, and i agree that corn ect will become exspensive and rain forset will be cut, But the bigger picture says that bio fuels will come its only a matter of time.
Old 17 February 2007, 19:21   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
Mercury have not put the investment into two stroke like they have the verrado, and i agree that corn ect will become exspensive and rain forset will be cut, But the bigger picture says that bio fuels will come its only a matter of time.
Only if the enviro mentalists have their way. I honestly think they do more harm than good.
Old 17 February 2007, 19:45   #17

This oil pipe line thing with Russia turning off the supply with Germany is a wake up call its not the Evos that will cause Bio fuels to come in, it will be me and you,
when your freedom of movment is stoped because some one has turned the tap off, i wonder how many people will ask where the EU grain mountain went and why havant we got that Bio fuel that people where talking about years ago.
Old 17 February 2007, 19:56   #18

Bio fuel just can NOT deliver. You need vast areas of land and there just isn't enough to go around. They need to keep oil and gas for cars and generate electricity with nuclear - there would be enough to go around then!!!

They already have cars running on hydrogen gas - normal ic engines NOT fuel cells - it's similar to using LPG. The biggest problem is getting enough hydrogen but with more nuclear reactors it wouldn't be a problem. Nuke powerstations can't just be turned off so the electric is wasted at night - what better use than to make hydrogen to run cars - real carbon neutral and we still have lovely V8s etc!!!
Old 18 February 2007, 08:31   #19

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
yamaha press announcement

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...outboard_.aspx
Old 18 February 2007, 11:54   #20

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
One thing I find hard to understand is how do you get the transom saddle bracket to withstand the forces, many engines break these in offshore racing and they are not 804lbs I think only time will tell