Old 24 August 2015, 04:40   #11

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
In summary I have drained the gear oil there was no water in the gear oil, I checked the oil for lumps of metal and I found none. The lower bung which has a magnet on it did not have lumps of metal on it, just a very light coating of metal dust. I check the volume of oil and found it to be in or around the correct volume ( smelly though)

Question is it safe to assume that the gearbox is not broken i.e. gears not chipped and dog cluch not broken? and that the problem may lie with cables or adjustments

TSM.

Old 24 August 2015, 04:51   #12

Town: Abersoch
Make: phantom
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp outboard
Hope your right ! But you need to test the gearbox. Have you had someone put it in gear at the control box and you watch the gear linkage move forward neutral reverse when not running

Had a box fail with no metal pieces in the oil so that doesn't always rule out failure

Can you not just drop the lower unit then you can manually put in gears and see if you have a gearbox problems

Old 24 August 2015, 07:55   #13

Town: Donegal Bay
Make: ribtec
Engine: outboard 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I was out yesterday with ribtec 1 et al in clew bay. there was a good blow f4- f5. we were heading to clare island and running hard. I was on and off the power and from time to time i would miss time the landings and the prop would spinn without gripping the water. on reaching Clare island whe stopped in the harbour i placed the engine into nutral and then into forward. the revs rose and there was a delay in the engagement of forward gear and then it engauged with a thump. I placed it into nutral and out not get it into forward again. I had reverse. I had a long slow 2-3 kn trip in reverse from Clare Island to Old Head to allow for the recovery of the rib.

with the engine off and in the trottle in forward position (i.e. in gear). When I turn the prop I can feel the cylinders going in and out. When I they try turning the flywheel there is no movement in the prop. with the engine running on muffs and forward gear selected I can stop the prop from spinning with a light stick.

Question is my gearbox broken or it this a problem with the cables out of adjustment?
My sympathies with tsm as he was disappointed in not being able to continue however my concern is that there was a lack of white coated people on the island with the necessary jacket when he told us that he was going back out in a f4-5 and reversing back to the mainland
Old 24 August 2015, 10:44   #14

Town: Cardigan
Boat name: Bay Explorer/Pioneer
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x ETEC 200hp
Hi. In my experience smelly gearbox oil is not a good sign, something has run hot in there.

Double check the cables etc but I would be getting the gearbox opened up for inspection.

www.baytoremember.co.uk
Tony Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2015, 12:00   #15

RIBase
The oil was olive green in colour not black. would the smeely oil still indicate high temps.
Old 24 August 2015, 12:22   #16
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
The oil was olive green in colour not black. would the smeely oil still indicate high temps.
My limited experience with old gearbox oil is that it stinks! Dunno if mine was overheated - doubt it though...
Old 24 August 2015, 13:56   #17

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Are we not starting at the wrong end ? I'd try running it on "Muffs" with the gear shift cable disconnected from the engine and try moving the linkage under the cowl through FNR before I started pulling lower unit off. I sounds more like a broken control box or cable. And.... if your gear oil has been in there for four years it's going to stink.!
Old 24 August 2015, 14:15   #18

RIBase
Tango

I disconnected the cable from the gear linkage this evening on return form work. I then engauged the gear selector directlty by hand and spun the fly wheel. The prop seemed to turn as it should. Now comes two questions

1) where in ireland can i get the correct gear oil and new washers
2) I need new cables. are they a genric item or are there types for etces mariner, honda etc.
what type of cable would you recommend

tsm
Old 24 August 2015, 15:13   #19

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Quote:
Tango

1) where in ireland can i get the correct gear oil and new washers
2) I need new cables. are they a genric item or are there types for etces mariner, honda etc.
what type of cable would you recommend

tsm
1) Best get a response from the local members...but won't be hard to find.
2) They are generic but there is a few variations....need to speak to the supplier. (unless one of the end fittings is broken you should be able to re-use them.)
Give the loose gear cable end a pull. If it's broken the core might just pull out then you've found your problem. You'll need to open the control box to identify and change the cable anyway so might as well have a look in there to see if anything is broken.
Teleflex Extreme cables are way better than standard cables and not that much more expensive.
You can get these of ebay but you have to know exactly what your looking for.
I'm sure one of the trade members will step in and keep you right.
Old 16 November 2015, 10:19   #20

RIBase
I fitted the xtreme cables over the weekend they are a great improvement over the old cables.