Old 11 April 2012, 17:39   #1

Town: akranes
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac mk11 grand
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30 hp yam
Is it a scam

Hi all just read a post on another boat forum that a place called...BOAT YARD has been ripping people off with CHEAP OUTBOARDS AND BOATS ....They advertise on the BOATSANDOUTBOARDS..site the reason i ask is i dont want to believe its true there are 2 guys a DANIEL CALLEN..and a ALAN SOMETHING ..because if its TRUE we have been DONE ITS SO EASY ...why are there so many dishonest people in this world......regards ICELAND
Old 11 April 2012, 17:46   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
What advert did you have interest in ? Put a link on and I'm sure it will be clear if it's a scam or not.

Just to clarify its not my site. We trade on their too and our full business name is Boatsandoutboards4sale
Old 11 April 2012, 17:53   #3

[QUOTE=Boats&Outboards;455774]What advert did you have interest in ? Put a link on and I'm sure it will be clear if it's a scam or not.
YES I SHALL TRY AND FIND THE LINK I DONT WANT TO START CALLING PEOPLE ANYTHING IF IT,S NOT BUT I THINK IT IS IF SO IVE BEEN DDDDOOONNNEEEE BIG TIME...REGARD,S ICELAND
Old 11 April 2012, 18:21   #4

Yamaha f115

The motor was as above year 2008...no on the add was paa44480 any help would be greatly appreciated regards..iceland...
Old 11 April 2012, 18:41   #5

Town: Plymouth
It's been removed but I very much doubt that you will find a 2008 Yamaha F115 4 stroke XL shaft with the stated 5 1/2 years warranty remaining for the advertised price of £2,500 ?

For a start if it's 2008 the warranty would be much less left, if any.

I think if you've paid (and my guess is you did via BACS or PayPal with shipping being included as its in the isle of sky or somewhere equally remote) you may well have kissed goodbye to it.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 11 April 2012, 18:50   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
It's been removed but I very much doubt that you will find a 2008 Yamaha F115 4 stroke XL shaft with the stated 5 1/2 years warranty remaining for the advertised price of £2,500 ?

For a start if it's 2008 the warranty would be much less left, if any.

I think if you've paid (and my guess is you did via BACS or PayPal with shipping being included as its in the isle of sky or somewhere equally remote) you may well have kissed goodbye to it.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007

yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 18:53   #7

Thankyou

Yes i think you are right im not allowed to print what im thinking but i would like to thank you for your help.i allso see how you write your busness name very simular but different i apolagise for any inconveniance i might of caused..again regards iceland
Old 11 April 2012, 19:15   #8

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
This really saddens me, I have emailed boatsandoutboards outboards more times than I care to remember, well every time I see a scam which is quite a bit, I only ever get an automated response, when I've tried to call in the past they've never answered, even after I've send them dodgy adverts they don't remove them, they really don't care and worse they make a profit from the premium rate phone numbers.
Old 11 April 2012, 23:26   #9

Length: 7m +
It kind of feels like buying anything from anywhere on the Internet is a bit like walking into a bad area of a major city at 3am with a blindfold on wearing a rolex and having wads of cash hanging out your pockets.

It's a shame that the laws of the land don't seem to apply in practice to anything related to the net.

Paypal should be renamed pay and pray.

Perhaps a tv show like watchdog or rogue traders would be interested in this type of scam as a feature.
Old 12 April 2012, 07:56   #10

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I always use a credit card in the hope that I'm getting a bit more protection.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 07:58   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Paypal should be renamed pay and pray.
I thought Paypal were pretty good at refunding fraudulent transactions? Most of the scammers won't take Paypal for this reason. Of course large transactions cost quite a bit in fees so nobody likes the idea of that. Paypal are also unlikely to accept thousands of pounds into a new account easily [even with a "validated" account we use for business, never having had a charge back on it, large payments quite often come with a warning not to ship the goods until Paypal do some security checks].

Sellers don't like it because (1) it is expensive on fees; (2) Paypal have a reputation for siding with the buyer in any dispute.

Paying by credit card (e.g. via Paypal) may offer further reassurance as then the card issuer gets liability too. I'd be suspicious of any long distance seller who couldn't offer Paypal or other reputable method of credit card payment as it probably means they can't or won't provide the required level of identity and credit checks to the card processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
This really saddens me, I have emailed boatsandoutboards outboards more times than I care to remember...
I'm surprised the genuine sellers still use it - as with so many scams its reputation is shot.
Old 12 April 2012, 09:25   #12

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
I was done on an eBay transaction, selling, PayPal found in my favour but there were no funds in the buyers account and they took the money back out of my account, what made me laugh is when I got the payment they'd deducted their fees, those fees you pay for the security - but I guess most people on here have a story to tell about PayPal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm surprised the genuine sellers still use it - as with so many scams its reputation is shot.
Me too, buyers prefer to use a broker - when I was selling my little Beneteau I put it on all the usual sites and had one enquiry, stuck it on with Dickies in Brighton and within a couple of days it went for more than I'd put it up for.
Old 12 April 2012, 13:57   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: Big Blue III
Make: Avon Adventure 580
Engine: Suzuki 140
Iceland,
Sorry to hear about that - is there nothing that trading standards or the police can do about it, as it sounds like Fraud, surely you could contact the fraud squad and take it from there?

All the best.
Old 12 April 2012, 15:13   #14

Well i feel part guilty over this i found and recommened this motor for a friend of mine he has a boat and needed a motor...he is not a rich man has a couple of small kids house etc the usuall package we paid through the bank etc ...a brain tumour would be a good reward for these people finger,s crossed.....iceland