RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Paypal should be renamed pay and pray.
I thought Paypal were pretty good at refunding fraudulent transactions? Most of the scammers won't take Paypal for this reason. Of course large transactions cost quite a bit in fees so nobody likes the idea of that. Paypal are also unlikely to accept thousands of pounds into a new account easily [even with a "validated" account we use for business, never having had a charge back on it, large payments quite often come with a warning not to ship the goods until Paypal do some security checks].

Sellers don't like it because (1) it is expensive on fees; (2) Paypal have a reputation for siding with the buyer in any dispute.

Paying by credit card (e.g. via Paypal) may offer further reassurance as then the card issuer gets liability too. I'd be suspicious of any long distance seller who couldn't offer Paypal or other reputable method of credit card payment as it probably means they can't or won't provide the required level of identity and credit checks to the card processor.

Originally Posted by thomas View Post
This really saddens me, I have emailed boatsandoutboards outboards more times than I care to remember...
I'm surprised the genuine sellers still use it - as with so many scams its reputation is shot.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 04:25   #12
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I was done on an eBay transaction, selling, PayPal found in my favour but there were no funds in the buyers account and they took the money back out of my account, what made me laugh is when I got the payment they'd deducted their fees, those fees you pay for the security - but I guess most people on here have a story to tell about PayPal.

Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm surprised the genuine sellers still use it - as with so many scams its reputation is shot.
Me too, buyers prefer to use a broker - when I was selling my little Beneteau I put it on all the usual sites and had one enquiry, stuck it on with Dickies in Brighton and within a couple of days it went for more than I'd put it up for.

thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 08:57   #13
Town: Devon
Make: Avon Adventure 580
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Sorry to hear about that - is there nothing that trading standards or the police can do about it, as it sounds like Fraud, surely you could contact the fraud squad and take it from there?

All the best.
butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 10:13   #14
Town: akranes
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac mk11 grand
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30 hp yam
Well i feel part guilty over this i found and recommened this motor for a friend of mine he has a boat and needed a motor...he is not a rich man has a couple of small kids house etc the usuall package we paid through the bank etc ...a brain tumour would be a good reward for these people finger,s crossed.....iceland

iceland is offline   Reply With Quote