Old 27 June 2012, 10:09   #11

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Sounds like a great adventure.

Broardening it a tad if I may - one day I'd like to get another Searider and it would be a 4m rather than the 4.7m I had previously - just for me and my young son really. Is a 2 stroke 50 the de facto fitment for these (or does a 40 have it's own benefits) and if so what's the typical performance, 1.5 to 2 up, non-flooding hull etc? Would also be interested in the running costs at WOT per hour if anyone has logged this?

Anyone gone from a 4.7 or 5.4 to a 4m Searider?

Old 27 June 2012, 13:55   #12

Town: Leicestershire
Make: Avon SR4 Zodiac 310
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 40 2s Merc 15 2
Mine performs really well with my Mercury 40 hp two stroke with power trim .Its very well balanced being a light engine and Ive kept the boat light as i can with alloy a frame and distributing the weight well
If you read through this thread you can see what performance Ive been getting ,all test were with two people and 25 ltrs of fuel and gear on board
My hull is immaculate with no marks and engine is about 1 1/2 " raised

Anyone heard of a Solas New Saturn prop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	616.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	69734  

Old 27 June 2012, 14:49   #13
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Is your hull dented or is the second roller back just not adjusted properly? Also is that the original colour or have you painted it?
Old 27 June 2012, 14:57   #14
SR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Sounds like a great adventure.

Broardening it a tad if I may - one day I'd like to get another Searider and it would be a 4m rather than the 4.7m I had previously - just for me and my young son really. Is a 2 stroke 50 the de facto fitment for these (or does a 40 have it's own benefits) and if so what's the typical performance, 1.5 to 2 up, non-flooding hull etc? Would also be interested in the running costs at WOT per hour if anyone has logged this?

Anyone gone from a 4.7 or 5.4 to a 4m Searider?
I can do some measurements for you now I have the plotter, as for how many up I guess it depends how muscular you are I weigh in at 135kg with little fat, I guess that could be equal to two skinny people, so will have to calculate using that. I have a 50hp 2 stroke, from what I have encountered it is more than powerful enough for the job, with my new rev counter I should be able to see the most economic revs and speed
Old 27 June 2012, 15:29   #15

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
when you compare the weight of the 40 hp 2 stroke and 40 honda it is around 17 pounds heavier. Not a lot as an overall percentage but it has reminded me to take some of the junk off our boat that the mrs keeps putting on and that its time to start the diet!
Old 27 June 2012, 15:51   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4
any idea what I get to the gallon with the Mercury, and what to expect from a BF50, I can't calculate without that
Some years ago I used every last drop of fuel from 2 x 25l tanks and managed 85 miles on it. This was with a Honda 50 on a 19' Orkney day fisher.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2012, 17:31   #17

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
OK, lets make a plan I have all the time in the world as long as my heart is beating, would be fun in a pair..and safer. I have courtesy lights and an orange plotter which might help I am always in the South of France for all of August every year, so any days apart from that lets do it. The furthest I have been is 8,000 miles in a landing craft down through the South Atlantic, so 5,000 hugging a coast should be a piece of cake

P.S. I have only just recently got mine (4mtr Searider) and due to the weather had limited goes in it, I have not really been in a small boat apart from my other tender which is a Zodiac 320 with a 9.8 Tohatsu, I'm used to the luxury and amenities of a larger motor cruiser. I'm heading from Portsmouth to Bembridge this weekend so I will see how that goes, I guess it would be similar.
It would take some planning to put together, were about are you based/looking to set off from? I am in north wales
Old 27 June 2012, 17:33   #18
SR4

Portsmouth, so you are just around the corner

There would be no rush, it's pretty straight forward stuff though, just keep land on your right and zoom round
Old 27 June 2012, 17:35   #19

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
there aint many petrol stations up in them there hills in scotland though is there? What about overnight stops etc
Old 27 June 2012, 17:39   #20
SR4

Ah! got a plan, didn't mention about the back up team, got a fully kitted motorhome to shadow with spares, fuel and plenty of accommodation, maybe get a volunteer to drive it for us