Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
Internal anodes on F30

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1442353751.623597.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	108676

I noticed a bit of salt scale buildup on the outside of top internal anode cover, opened it up only to find anode missing, but it was installed as there was a little piece remaining where it screws into the cover, checked middle and it was still there but crumbly , bottom one was in good shape, anyone know if this is normal erosion and that the top anode has dissolved away completely and not after falling inside blocking up something ?

Cheers
Old 16 September 2015, 19:57   #2

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Broken / crumbling anodes are a result of poor servicing by people who don't know they are there or can't be bothered to pull them all out.

Certainly on the F50 a broken anode is the perfect fit in the main outlet hole in the casting of the exhaust cooling cover. If it does block it up engine will overheat in approx 1 - 2 minutes despite powerful telltale and full flow at the thermostat. And it wasn't a freak occurrence as the boat had twin F50's and no sooner had one of them had the cooling jackets removed and sorted the same thing happened to the other one.
Old 16 September 2015, 20:30   #3

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Make: FunYak
I was kinda wishfully thinking/ hoping that the Yamaha engineers would of thought ahead and not put in such and obvious disaster waiting to happen...
Engine did overheat and I've a small fortune spent trying to sort out all this mess myself, I'm not a mechanic but if it was my job I dam well educate myself to do the simple stuff in a full service...

When it was serviced,
he put in new spark plugs = wrong no. ( it's written on a label right next to them)
He did notice that it was overheating on idle after 30 mins = but never checked thermostat
Never checked fuel filter as I Found crap in it
Never checked internal anodes, another possible overheating source as it turns out now ,
Said he checked gear oil, I drained it myself and it was more pale yellow/ green than it should be...
Didn't spot that a return spring for the carbs dashpot wasn't connected
Yamaha engineer my arse!

No good news so, looks like I'll be taking off the exhaust cover next...

Tis been an education

Sorry for rant... :-(

Cheers
Noel
Old 18 September 2015, 21:41   #4

Opened up the exhaust cover, you can't see much, but by connecting a low pressure water hose you can do a lot of checking flow by moving around to different holes and seeing where the water comes out and how fast, looking in through the anode holes there doesn't seem to be much scale buildup inside the passages ... Not enough to risk taking off the head

Put it back together tomorrow and run it in the barrel , hopefully that goes to plan :-)

Mobile
Old 19 September 2015, 22:05   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Noco View Post
I was kinda wishfully thinking/ hoping that the Yamaha engineers would of thought ahead and not put in such and obvious disaster waiting to happen...
Engine did overheat and I've a small fortune spent trying to sort out all this mess myself, I'm not a mechanic but if it was my job I dam well educate myself to do the simple stuff in a full service...

When it was serviced,
he put in new spark plugs = wrong no. ( it's written on a label right next to them)
He did notice that it was overheating on idle after 30 mins = but never checked thermostat
Never checked fuel filter as I Found crap in it
Never checked internal anodes, another possible overheating source as it turns out now ,
Said he checked gear oil, I drained it myself and it was more pale yellow/ green than it should be...
Didn't spot that a return spring for the carbs dashpot wasn't connected
Yamaha engineer my arse!

No good news so, looks like I'll be taking off the exhaust cover next...

Tis been an education

Sorry for rant... :-(

Cheers
Noel
Sorry to hear you're predicament.....You're not the one who should be apologising!!..that's Disgusting service!
As for having a Rant...reckon you may be better off having a go at the "engineer"....not sure from your post but Has this guy always carried out the service schedule?...if so you may well have some grounds for a claim!
Not replacing Anodes (especially internals) as recommended is a quick way to turn any good engine...into an anchor!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 20:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Sorry to hear you're predicament.....You're not the one who should be apologising!!..that's Disgusting service!

As for having a Rant...reckon you may be better off having a go at the "engineer"....not sure from your post but Has this guy always carried out the service schedule?...if so you may well have some grounds for a claim!

Not replacing Anodes (especially internals) as recommended is a quick way to turn any good engine...into an anchor!

I did voice my views to the dealer but he was having none of it, his excuse was it was working ok so they don't crack seals unless something's wrong ...

Never dawn their door again!

Mobile
Old 20 September 2015, 21:11   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Noco View Post
I did voice my views to the dealer but he was having none of it, his excuse was it was working ok so they don't crack seals unless something's wrong ...

Never dawn their door again!

Mobile
That sounds like Bollox to me...
You still havnt said if he's been following the service schedule or not?....(following specified manufacturers procedure is meant to stop this type of thing)..was it a new/newish engine,that he's been looking after...or meant to have been!!
If so there could be a case for pointing out his ineptitude has caused the damage IMV.
If so,or if you're unhappy for any reason...a call to Tradeing standards may help!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 23:12   #8

Original story is, Engine was dropped in to Yamaha dealer by seller to get it repaired as it wouldn't start, I called to see engine and asked dealers opinion, they said it was only a solenoid issue and other than that it looked ok but they had never seen it before, I bought the engine from the seller and asked the dealer to give it a full service and new timing belt before I pick it up, 3 weeks later I finally got to pick it up and thought It was all sorted, you trust that it's all been checked out as they are the experts?
Anyway, live and learn

Mobile