Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
installing a new inboard

Hello

I Was just wondering if any of you have ever tried to install a inboard engine in a rib which was build for an outboard.

I was thinking of selling my Yamaha 115 Outboard and installing somethin like a Mercury 1.7 L inboard instead ???
Or maybe a new Diesel

Does this sound like a totally up side down idea ??

I would like the diesel, but I don't know if it will be to heavy, and what about the transom.

I know that I will need to remove some af the floor in the boat to get the engine mouting solid and close to the bottem of the boat.

Let me know what you think.....

Regards
Rene (The man with the crazy idea)
Old 24 February 2002, 19:26   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
This is perfectly feasible, but it is a major job. Alan Priddy converted "Still Nevr Enough" from outboards to a diesel sterndrive and I'm sure he'll be happy to tell more about how he did it.

John
Old 25 February 2002, 11:28   #3

Thanks for the reply

There is not that many replys on this thread, maybe it's because it's not something many people do

I'm gooing to the boat show here in Copenhagen this week to get some info on weight and prices on the different models.

Rene
Old 25 February 2002, 17:16   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
maybe it's because it's not something many people do
It's a bit more than most people would want to take on, and may involve more trouble and cost than it's worth . . .

There are not many engines that would be suitable for a 6m RIB -- it really comes down to a choice between the Volvo TAMD22SX or the new compact Mercruiser. From what I've heard, the Mercruiser is likely to be the preferred choice.

John
Old 25 February 2002, 20:18   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Rene

My advice is to not bother and fit a new 4 stroke outboard. You will find that the economics are better and you can do it in an afternoon.

Alan Priddy
Old 26 February 2002, 00:46   #6

Hmmmm......

I have been talking to some of my fellow boat friends, and they don't think that it will be worth the money.

Well it might turn out, that there is only one solution to my little problem......

Sell the Osprey and by a bigger RIB

Maybe I would go for the Scorpion 8.5 meters ??
Old 26 February 2002, 06:02   #7

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Rene

On the first thought I came to agree with Alan P, but on the second one, I think that your approach to subject is the best . Regarding that you've got an itch in you pocket (wallet), sell the Osprey and buy somtheing really big.
Let's say the "Enterprise".....

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2002, 22:49   #8

Town: athens
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.6
Engine: Yanmar 315 hp diesel
Rene,

I used to have a six meter RIB powered by a Mercruiser 275 hp petrol inboard and moved on to a Scorpion - Yanmar 315 hp diesel.If I still had the previous one I would have possibly looked for a way to get rid of the inboard and replace it with a big four stroke instead.

I could also take a look at the new little Mercruiser Diesel, although I dont particularily like Mercruisers.
Old 27 February 2002, 10:56   #9

Pytheas,

275 hp Inboard i a 6 meter RIB, that must have been

-- Fun and Fast

I have been looking for a Scorpion like yours, is it great - Well that might be a stupid question !!!

Are you driving it around on a trailer ?

What are to width ad weigt of the boat ?? -- We have some pretty restrictive regulations on this matter i Denmark.

the 8.5 meters in lenght seems to be right for me
Old 27 February 2002, 21:39   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Rene, you will have problems installing an inboard engine in the Viper 5.95 as it doesn't have any longitudinal stringers to mount or build up to form engine mountings. The inside of the hul has full transverse stringers every 50cm and half height stringers every 25 cm. You can see them through the hatch in the front deck. There is a full length semi circle stringer down the centre at the very bottom of the hull which incidentially has the fuel tank sitting on. I think it the fuel tank goes at least 8 inches down through the deck if memory serves me correctly. The hull relies on the deep v shape and strong deck to make the hull rigid which it does very well.

Also the 5.95 was a special build with the console and 30 gal fuel tank moved back some 30 cm to make the steering position nearer the centre of the boat. With an inboard weighing over 300kgs you may end up with all the weight in the stern and upset the handling, which would be a shame as it does handle very well.

The best option may be to go for the Yam 115 4 stroke outboard or something similar from suzuki. the honda wold also be an option, but check the weight by using water drums at the stern with the current 2 stroke Yam before deciding. Regards Pete
Old 28 February 2002, 10:13   #11

Pete7,

Hi Pete

Thanks for the Reply and information on the boat.

Are you the Pete, I bought the boat from ?? a few years back.

Osprey Viper 5.95 Callsign 'XRAI'

The boat is great and the handling i near to perfect...... If thats posible)

Only problem --> the boat is getting smaller I mean I'm getting used to it, and when we put 7 divers in it, there is not much room left.

Regarding the engine. The yamaha if still going strong. When i bought the boat, is was in perfect condition. Later on i got a fuel problem which i could not solve myself. So I got a yamaha dealer to look at it, and since I'm having problem starting the engine.
I have talked to the people down there and they claims that they can't do anything about it.

So every time I'm starting the engine, and the engine is cold, I have to use a can of "Diesel Start" I hope you know what that is

That's the only reason, I looking at orther engines.

But I might just get a bigger boat while I'm at it.

When you have tried a rib, nothing else matters

Rene
Old 28 February 2002, 16:05   #12

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat

Quote Rene "When you have tried a rib, nothing else matters "

How true. Why the heck would any one buy an ordinary boat???

Regards

Keith (talking to the converted) Hart
Old 28 February 2002, 17:29   #13

Hi Rene, yes I am the same Pete. The Yam is 1989 vintage so its doing well, but wouldn't expect anything else from a Yahama, You certainly have to pay enough for them to start with!

I suspect that it needs a compression test to check to see if the cylinders are worn, a dealer should be able to do this, last check was in 1997 and they ranged from 145 to 152 psi for each cylinder. Using easy start or something similar is asking for trouble and it has no lubrication and causes very quick wear in the bores. This means the engine will become even more difficult to start without it, and becomes "hooked" on it.

However do check the basics first. Is the fuel shut off lever on top of the fuel tank open ? the handle is on the wrong way round so it would fit inside the console, so be careful when checking. Is the fuel tank clean, the inspection hatch can be unbolted to check. Has the fuel filter been replaced, its a diesel filter but works with petrol. Are the spark plugs in good condition. A two stroke will destroy plugs so they need changing every year regardless of what Yamaha says. There is another fuel filter a small white one under the engine cover to check as well. Finally the carb jets, main and pilot may need cleaning with compressed air, especially if the engine hasnt been run for a while as the petrol turns to varnish. whilst your there are the floats okay and set corrrectly. The fuel pump was changed prior to a cross channel holiday with Alan Priddy and seven other ribsters in 95, there are rubber diaphrams inside which can perish over time. I wish the Yam 115 4 stroke had been available 5 years go, I would certianly fitted one. Regards Pete
Old 01 March 2002, 10:12   #14

Pete,

I going to get the compression test, to see if it will solve the problem. I will stop using the easy start, as that will not solve the original problem.
I'm going to test the other things you suggested.

When I collected the boat from you there was absolutly no problems, it started very easy (I would really like it to do that again).

As for the console, do you know if it's posible to change it to something like the offshore console.

I have built a new console to put one the right side of the one built onto the boat. I needed the space to put my new vhf, radar and color fishfinder in. But it's not the same as a prof. one.

As for the GPS (Lowrance) that you put in the boat, do you know which Datum system it's using (WGS80, EDO50, OR.....)
I´can't seem to find the wrecks...... Maybe it's just me (I don't think so)

Rene
Old 02 March 2002, 08:44   #15

Hi Rene, I think you will have problems moving the console because the fuel tank goes down below the deck, and I know Osprey relly glass them in well. It would be an awful job to try and take it out. No sure it the same tank would fit across the boat so that might need replacing as well.
Suggest you leave the console as it is. Instead why not make a box to go on top of the existing console to house the new electronics. It could go further forward as there is plenty of room in front.
I think the GPS standard is in the manual but it is an early Lowrance bought in 1992, you could try sending them an e mail. Probably best to go straight to the USA for that as Simpson Lowrance the UK importers are in trouble here in this country.

Have a look at this link for a new engine: http://www.ribsforsale.com/
They have a 100 Yam 4 stroke for £5700 which seems good although you might prefer the 115 for seven divers. They also have a big Prosport 8 - 9 m rib which has been for sale for a long time, offer a low price and see what happens.

Also Fairweather Marine have a site and offer good prices and come strongly recommended by everone. http://sites.yell.com/passport/goto/...rine/home.html

Regards Pete

Old 03 March 2002, 20:15   #16

Town: athens
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.6
Engine: Yanmar 315 hp diesel
Hi Rene

Yes, all Scorpion ribs perform superbly and this one is also very good with twin four stroke 115hp Yamaha.
We are talking about Greek made Scorpions though, same brand made under licence here.I am sure british Scorps can only be even better(but here you get a slightly different layout, med style with lots of extras)

I am not sure about trailing for I have never trailed a boat in my life nor I intend to.

Why take it by the road when you can just rib it there!(we are living in Greece but Danemark is full of islands too)