Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 December 2009, 19:53   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Hardly seems worth it when you can buy a new 3.5 4 stroke for a 100 more, with the benefit of a 5 year warranty.

I reckon a new 2 stroke would only have 1 years warranty, as it's only (officially) available in Europe to commercial users.
As I am using it as a reserve I wanted a 2 stroke as its around 5kg lighter, the outboard is around 2 years old but as its new, boxed and has never been sold the Mercury dealer said my 5 year Warranty would start when I buy it and they then register the Warranty with Mercury, does that sound right to you?
__________________

__________________
martin33100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 03:36   #32
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Theres at Vatman who is an active member on this site.

What's the difference between a criminal and a convict?
a criminal works in downing street and a convict is still in training
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 04:23   #33
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
There used to be a RIB named "Crime Pays" in Haslar Marina.....I liked that! Till I found out it was owned by a Lawyer
Snappier than "The Highest Bidder is Innocent, M'Lud"
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 05:51   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin33100 View Post
As I am using it as a reserve I wanted a 2 stroke as its around 5kg lighter, the outboard is around 2 years old but as its new, boxed and has never been sold the Mercury dealer said my 5 year Warranty would start when I buy it and they then register the Warranty with Mercury, does that sound right to you?
It's still possible to buy a 2 stroke merc, so that bit sounds fine. I'd phone Barrus and check on the warranty situation though, as 2 strokes are outlawed for private use, and so it may only have a commercial warranty. Spose there's a possibility of a "grey area" if it's genuine old stock, so I'd phone and get the ok.

Suprised if you'll get 5 years though, as that's only been available for the last year or so.
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 07:28   #35
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
It's still possible to buy a 2 stroke merc, so that bit sounds fine. I'd phone Barrus and check on the warranty situation though, as 2 strokes are outlawed for private use, and so it may only have a commercial warranty. Spose there's a possibility of a "grey area" if it's genuine old stock, so I'd phone and get the ok.

Suprised if you'll get 5 years though, as that's only been available for the last year or so.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Barrus answer was along the lines of:

'you would be illegally importing a new 2 stroke engine (not compliant with emission regs) into the UK for private use and so we don't offer ANY warranty!'
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 07:38   #36
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Pay for it and get it ashore before Jan 1st and VAT is 15%, after that, 17.5%. (After the next election, god knows what!)
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 07:50   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
It's still possible to buy a 2 stroke merc, so that bit sounds fine. I'd phone Barrus and check on the warranty situation though, as 2 strokes are outlawed for private use, and so it may only have a commercial warranty. Spose there's a possibility of a "grey area" if it's genuine old stock, so I'd phone and get the ok.

Suprised if you'll get 5 years though, as that's only been available for the last year or so.
It is genuine old stock, it has been on a display for about 2 years
__________________
martin33100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 08:10   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin33100 View Post
It is genuine old stock, it has been on a display for about 2 years
Cool, but you'd be importing an "old stock" motor into the UK from a non EC country, so I can't see Barrus being that enthusiastic about honouring any warranty that you think you'd have.
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 11:20   #39
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
try asking the seller to make the receipt out as ...replacement under warrenty ....value of goods is still the same but ' as you have already paid vat' shouldnt be charged again.

I
__________________
my other toy has T*TS
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 17:33   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Cool, but you'd be importing an "old stock" motor into the UK from a non EC country, so I can't see Barrus being that enthusiastic about honouring any warranty that you think you'd have.
I spoke to Barrus today and told them the whole story ie what dealer I was buying the outboard from in Jersey, they said as the engine is still new and un-used I would get the 2 year warranty that the 2 strokes came with
__________________

__________________
martin33100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.