Old 03 October 2010, 23:31   #21

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
First aid

From an insurance assessment point of view the most important thing to do is to prevent the damage getting worse.

Flushing with fresh water / submerging in freshwater / diesel / WD40 all good to prevent the internals getting corroded and seized.

Most insurers will agree to replace most electric bits - but if you've not carried out adequate first aid on the oily bits they'll not entertain paying for that part of it.

All assuming that the cause of the dunking is covered under the policy.
Old 04 October 2010, 02:03   #22

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
This isn't a "theory" answer. I owned a Mercury (mariner) 135 V6 outboard that had been immersed (17 foot boat only had 1 foot of the bow above water) overnight. (previous owner left the bilge pump off, low freeboard, took water over the stern and sunk)

The boat was towed (still submerged) to a Mercury dealer nearby. The boat was raised and the Mercury procedure for recovering submerged outboards was followed. The engine was running within 2 hours.

Subsequently the starter and alternator were rebuilt. The engine ran flawlessly for the 3 years that I owned it.
Old 04 October 2010, 02:48   #23

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
I have recovered a few motors that have been sunk. The last being a suzuki df140 rinsed everything with fresh water then Salt Away which supposedly displaces the salt. Pulled the plugs and got all the saltwater out then sprayed with wd40.

Had the engine running again in 2 hours... I then sprayed all the connections with Boeshields T-9 which is an anti corrosion spray. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks of regular use, then starter and the solenoid then packed it in. I replaced both and the engine ran beautifully for another 2000 hours.

I had no problems with the cpu and any other electrics.

At the boatyard that I work at we have a old honda 4 stroke 40 that has been sunk 3 times that I know of and each time it has been salvaged and is still running although a little rough starting
Old 15 October 2010, 07:18   #24

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Length: 5m +
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
I was talking about this to a friend last night and I was trying to recall an article I read recently where some magic oil had been used to get a couple of submerged and knackered outboards going. Can't find it anywhere now but sure it was in a boating magazine. Does anybody else read it or did I dream it?
Yeah I read this article... It was in either august or Septembers edition of 'rib magazine'... I'm fairly sure I have the mag still here in the house and could check out exactly which edition it is if anyone wants!
Old 15 October 2010, 19:28   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Mr McKenic Technology Oil. p95 of the August 2010 RI. Although blatantly advertising, it has a small title (technical oil) in the top left which would imply that it was supposed to be a proper feature

http://www.mrmckenic.co.uk/
Old 15 October 2010, 19:58   #26
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Thanks I'll try to find it again.

R.
Old 04 November 2010, 11:13   #27

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Mr McKenic Technology Oil. p95 of the August 2010 RI. Although blatantly advertising, it has a small title (technical oil) in the top left which would imply that it was supposed to be a proper feature

http://www.mrmckenic.co.uk/
I just read that and as you say it looked very much like an advert though it was presented as if it was a review!

Anybody used the stuff? I completely fail to see how a magic spray could fix ignition systems and the like that had been in salt water for 2 years (no mention of any parts being replaced!) so assume it is all BS but wonder if it might still be a decent penetrating oil anyway? We're looking for something decent at work. Nobody seems to supply online though?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote