Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 October 2016, 19:10   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Notts J28 M1
Make: Excel Volante 390
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20AS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 31
Illegal two stroke?

Pardon my ignorance, can someone say what the law actually says about selling 2 stroke engines in the UK when the E-tecs are the cleanest things going? Surely these are not banned also? Is there some kind of emission standard or is it a blanket ban on two stroke technology?
__________________

__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 19:16   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,000
It's an emissions standard if 2 strokes can make the standard then their fine all old 2 strokes still in service are fine too
Manufacturers can't sell none compliant engines for leisure use although they can be bought for commercial use
__________________

__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 01:55   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,472
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Pardon my ignorance, can someone say what the law actually says about selling 2 stroke engines in the UK when the E-tecs are the cleanest things going? Surely these are not banned also? Is there some kind of emission standard or is it a blanket ban on two stroke technology?

Your ignorance is forgiven😄 you could run an engine on bullsh1t as long as it meets the emissions standards. "2 strokes are banned" is the mantra spread by purveyors of 4 strokes. As you say, Etecs are one of the cleanest engines out there.


Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 04:48   #4
Member
 
whisper's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Make: Custom RIB
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,969
We just had a brand new Selva 6hp dropped off at the workshop for a customer to collect. It was a dry sump four stroke that uses 2 stroke oil... light as heck! I wonder if this will be the way all small outboards will go?
__________________
My RIB Website: http://www.customrib.co.uk
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 04:51   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,472
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
We just had a brand new Selva 6hp dropped off at the workshop for a customer to collect. It was a dry sump four stroke that uses 2 stroke oil... light as heck! I wonder if this will be the way all small outboards will go?

I have a Stihl brush cutter that has a 4 stroke dry sump engine that runs on 1:50 2stroke mix. Very reliable, easy to start, sounds awful🙄


Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 04:58   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have a Stihl brush cutter that has a 4 stroke dry sump engine that runs on 1:50 2stroke mix. Very reliable, easy to start, sounds awful🙄


Lions led by donkeys
Do they burn the oil? does it still come with that special smell?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 05:33   #7
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,742
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Do they burn the oil? does it still come with that special smell?
Yep!...Gets the job done though
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 05:36   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,472
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Do they burn the oil? does it still come with that special smell?

I don't notice the smell & there's isn't the cloud of blue smoke.


Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 05:51   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
It's an emissions standard if 2 strokes can make the standard then their fine all old 2 strokes still in service are fine too
Manufacturers can't sell none compliant engines for leisure use although they can be bought for commercial use

So how come they can be used commercially ??
Surely leisure activity is little compared to commercial ??

Does this apply for all of Europe or just just UK
__________________
Fred. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 06:16   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred. View Post
So how come they can be used commercially ??
Surely leisure activity is little compared to commercial ??

Does this apply for all of Europe or just just UK
No idea how or why but you can still buy old school 2 strokes to be used commercially in the UK
__________________

__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.