Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des

Jeff
Not criticizing your set -up but is it within the manufactures specification? Having a boat too stern heavy is not good.
Des

Hi Des,

Good point but yes the fit out was done by Dave Picton and engine (weight/HP) console positionetc all well within parameters. I have probably painted toooooooooo grim a picture - just that I found quite an improvement with the doel-fins - particularly up to plane time/speed. Piccies from Scotland ( "Easter in Oban") give an idea of how she rides/ sits.
Would love to own yours !! - though not sure how my car would cope towing it !
Thanks
Jeff
Old 06 May 2004, 12:53   #22

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
Although they might reduce the wetted area they increase drag, in effect a poor trade off of one for the other, your boat weighs the same regardless so either you are supported by the hull or the Hydrofoils but with the Hydrofoils the force exerted on the top of the Hydrofoils is of no benefit from a planing point of view.

I accept that with some problems such as poor balance they can be useful but generally what they do is overcome a design deficiency in a specific boat; they are not a panacea for all boats

Des

Des

The point i was making was regarding the drag, not the ability to plane quickly.

Although they might reduce the wetted area they increase drag, in effect a poor trade off of one for the other, your boat weighs the same regardless so either you are supported by the hull or the Hydrofoils

The quicker planing is an effect most people who have used them will verify. I never said they were a panacea for all boats, just that it helped mine which is stern heavy, and imagine it would help most stern heavy boats.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:30   #23

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
For years I did not believe about the benifits of fitting hydros. A friend of mine with a 5.5m Humber and a 100 yam 4 stroke swears by them and has fitted them to every boat he had owned, I used to think they were crap. My previous Redbay (Jellys now) was the first inboard Rhib that I have had. I was not very happy in her trimming ability as what ever angle you tried to trim her to is made very little difference to the ride of the boat, so I bit the bullet and after much slagging off fitted a set.........what a difference I could now trim the boat to suit the sea conditions, the way I like them. When I was over in Redbay picking up my new boat I noticed that some of their customers boats have them fitted, even in twin setups, however my current boat does not require them as she will trim away quite happily.
But who knows I might just fit them next time shes out of the water.
I'm no scientist but all that I can say is that they worked for me and did exaclty what they said on the tin!!
Andy