Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
No feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Brilliant points - what is so good about "no feedback"? - with cars feedback is vital - it is what makes all the difference!!! Try driving something like a caterham or TVR and then an Audi A4 and you will know what iI mean!!!

Whether it's the same with boats not too sure but from your comments I suspect so!!!
The "No Feedback" cable steering refers to being able to let go of the steering wheel and the steering staying where it was. With my old type cable steering if you let go of the wheel the boat would instantly go into a turn. Hence the "Firm Hand" I referred to. Probably not good in a family boat.

Have also got a Westfield - this has very little self centering and also needs to be driven with attention.

However, when all is said and done I think for a 250hp? you mentioned Hydraulic has to be the only way to go.

What about the electric power steering on the Verados - anyone on here used that yet?
Old 11 November 2004, 23:34   #22

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
If you're going for hydraulic steering be sure to get the right helm, I went for Seastar Pro and it makes all the difference feels much tighter and more precise than the standard Seastar helm. I was quite surprised actually when Barnet fitted this helm as standard equipment instead of the Standard Seastar helm. They simply said they don't cut corners!! Fair enough!!

SeaStar Pro is the ultimate steering system for high-speed single engine outboards. As the Premier Teleflex No Feedback System, SeaStar Pro delivers uncompromising steering control! Suited for all those critical high speed outboard powered boat applications like Bass, Flats, Combo Race and Ski, and other performance boats capable of speeds in excess of 60 MPH. SeaStar PRO has steered the Bass Masters since 1994 and it's the choice of high performance outboard boat builders.

(from website, very helpful www.seastarsteering.com)
Old 15 November 2004, 08:40   #23

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Well here my few pence worth.
Hydraulic steering boxes often come with 5 turns lock to lock steering ratios which is fine for crusing general fun trips or going fast.
You can get 3 turn lock to lock ratios amoungst others, the reason I raise this is that for a safety boat doing lots of close quarter manovering this lower ratio can make life alot easier and make it quicker to position the boat when you need to.
The down side is that if you a razzing along and unuse to a 3 turn box you can apply more helm than you expected too which can be rather interesting to all concerned!!
Jelly
Old 15 November 2004, 11:27   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly
Well here my few pence worth.
Hydraulic steering boxes often come with 5 turns lock to lock steering ratios which is fine for crusing general fun trips or going fast.
You can get 3 turn lock to lock ratios amoungst others, the reason I raise this is that for a safety boat doing lots of close quarter manovering this lower ratio can make life alot easier and make it quicker to position the boat when you need to.
The down side is that if you a razzing along and unuse to a 3 turn box you can apply more helm than you expected too which can be rather interesting to all concerned!!
Jelly
You soon get used to a quick rack - of course it is not just the number of turns but the actual amount of lock as well. For example a car with 2 turns lock to lock but a 40ft turining circle would not be as responsive as a car with 3 turns but a 25ft circle!

I think I will go for the vetus as funds now a bit tight and their stuff is usually pretty good.

Wonder if there is anyone out there with any direct experince of the Vetus system for outboards?
Old 15 November 2004, 11:52   #25
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
You soon get used to a quick rack

noe fank yew. i lyke to taik mi tyme an saver de mowmint

gArf
Old 15 November 2004, 12:49   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Hydraulic Steering is for

Wimps
Old 15 November 2004, 12:57   #27

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I had this problem...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
With my old type cable steering if you let go of the wheel the boat would instantly go into a turn. Hence the "Firm Hand" I referred to. Probably not good in a family boat.
...........until I adjusted the little fin on located just above the prom. Set it just off centre and trim up when at speed until the steering goes light and it will steer straight and true. ( a terrible description but I'm sure you'll get the drift).
Old 16 November 2004, 16:02   #28

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I played around with the trim anode on mine till I eliminated the effect of the wheel turning one way all the time to stay in a straight line. Doesn't do it at all now.