Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 September 2014, 13:32   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
5 year warranty is tempting and Bill Higham have been around a while............
Disclaimer
"Past performance is not indicative of future results"

I'm sure that there are plenty of steering systems out there, possibly better/cheaper than Seastar/Baystar. BUT when you need support & spares, Teleflex have got it covered.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 14:30   #12
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
Anybody got any experience with these?



5 year warranty is tempting and Bill Higham have been around a while.......



I'm after a system for my 530 Pro which will get a nice shiny Honda BF100 in a month or two.



Phil M

I fitted the baystar system on mine up to 150hp bought it of flee bay for not much more than bill Highams charging for his system easy to fit as well👍


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S NW Division
All good thing's come to those who wait!!.
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 14:30   #13
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,122
I've had one baystar on a 20' 90hp RIB and it was fantastic, now I have the Seastar on the 7m with 250 and it's OK. When I first assembled it and bled it everything worked great except I forgot to put sealant on the helm side fittings so they leaked. I took it apart and sealed everything up and after bleeding it for days it chatters. I called tech support and the answer was, "maybe that's how yours is going to be". Needless to say not the answer I was looking for. I will pursue it more in the off season.

Jason
__________________
Bigtalljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 16:43   #14
Member
 
1eyedjim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
Got my bay star from mail speed marine. 465 posted
__________________
1eyedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 15:39   #15
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Malta
Boat name: DeltaBay
Make: DeltaBay
Length: 5m +
Engine: IHonda BF90D
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 72
I haven't still decided which one to buy as after the accident of the steering cable brakeage I am afraid which one to chose
__________________
Jason calleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 15:49   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Down South
Make: Northcraft 5.8m 1999
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2012 Tohatsu MD90C
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 179
Any system will work hand over fist better than your old cable system but you have to remember that they need to be checked now and then to just spot any possible leaks and just general serviceability check.

I was going to go with a baystar/seastar system but was warned that recently the quality has somewhat diminished over the past year or so.
So I went with hydrive.

But I think the best bet for you is get a system that may have a dealer or parts backup close to you because with any mechanical system they are prone to failure and if it takes days,weeks possibly months to get the parts it's going to be very frustrating.
__________________
Solent Bombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 09:43   #17
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Malta
Boat name: DeltaBay
Make: DeltaBay
Length: 5m +
Engine: IHonda BF90D
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Bombard View Post
Any system will work hand over fist better than your old cable system but you have to remember that they need to be checked now and then to just spot any possible leaks and just general serviceability check.

I was going to go with a baystar/seastar system but was warned that recently the quality has somewhat diminished over the past year or so.
So I went with hydrive.

But I think the best bet for you is get a system that may have a dealer or parts backup close to you because with any mechanical system they are prone to failure and if it takes days,weeks possibly months to get the parts it's going to be very frustrating.
thanks for your info I will take a look to the hydrive. my only problem is that for now after the accident of a new cable failed that had 10.6 hrs of use I am still afraid to use the rib and which system is more secure to trust
__________________
Jason calleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 09:57   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Down South
Make: Northcraft 5.8m 1999
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2012 Tohatsu MD90C
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason calleja View Post
thanks for your info I will take a look to the hydrive. my only problem is that for now after the accident of a new cable failed that had 10.6 hrs of use I am still afraid to use the rib and which system is more secure to trust
If it failed after 10 hours use either it was a fluke and just a premature failiure or it was installed incorrectly and failed due to that reason
__________________
Solent Bombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 10:27   #19
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Malta
Boat name: DeltaBay
Make: DeltaBay
Length: 5m +
Engine: IHonda BF90D
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Bombard View Post
If it failed after 10 hours use either it was a fluke and just a premature failiure or it was installed incorrectly and failed due to that reason
It was installed correctly for sure either was cheap cable or it was not capable to be used on a 90hp or a defect cable. All I can say that it was very scary experience and fortunately my daughter ended overboar with no injuries
__________________
Jason calleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2014, 03:03   #20
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: East coast
Boat name: Expensive
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
Hi. Has anyone heard of Mavi Mare hydraulic steering or had any experience with them? Thanks
__________________

__________________
Gdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.