Old 13 April 2006, 08:37   #31
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Only if a traditional (ie non NFB) helm.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 08:50   #32
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Originally Posted by codprawn
What about feel? Which is better - a good cable setup or hydraulic? I suspect the former.
I notice little difference. It's not like a car. You're not feeling the road surface or the adhesion of the tyres.

jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 09:40   #33
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Originally Posted by Pete7
Stephen, we seem to get about 5 years out of a cable and then its scrap. This is in a dive club boat totally unloved and little maintenance, but used regularly, privately owned and cared for they will last longer. The cable tends to go over the winter and sieze up, its almost impossible to get grease into the cable so the best you will be able to achieve is clean and grease the outboard end, then take the cable out of the helm unit and get the grease into these parts too. The helm unit is normally overlooked but makes a huge difference. Worth checking the engine does turn freely with the steering disconnected as a fault here could lead to a mistaken fault diagnosis.

Heavy pulling or torque steering at your normal cruising speed (Jono steady ) can be removed by moving the trim tab behind the prop a few degrees. 5 should be plenty but have seen badly set up engines at 45 degrees which created appauling if not amusing handling characteristics before it was sorted.

I am gonna pull it all to bits over the winter and see whether everything is OK, not going to do it while the boat is in the water in case I drop something

I have no problems at all with pulling to one side in mine, I can go from nothing to full speed without touching the wheel and it stays more or less in a straight line, so I don't think there are any hidden problems, the boat doesn't even list to one side at all under full power, which surprised me as the Wildcat I nearly bought was a pig of a thing, the first time the owner opened it right out I thought we were going to sink it was listing so far!
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 14:58   #34
RIBnet supporter
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Originally Posted by Jono
Owned by NWR's very own "Popeye"
You shouldn't laugh. Tsk, tsk.

He's earning a fortune in arm wrestling competitions.

DM is offline   Reply With Quote