Old 07 August 2014, 12:44   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Me too
And me. Why would you look to a locksmith, when you've got an angle grinder?
Old 07 August 2014, 17:37   #22
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
And me. Why would you look to a locksmith, when you've got an angle grinder?
Haven't got a grinder....plus my hands could be used for a fairy washing up commercial
Old 07 August 2014, 18:04   #23
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
That padlock won't stand up to a couple of carefully aimed blows I suspect.

Chris
Old 07 August 2014, 19:15   #24

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
It appears to me the main barrel is cast aluminum. That means it would be easy to cut with a hacksaw. One cut along the top green line and a few smacks with a hammer should break the part around the rod. Then the only question is how does the center part come out. Is it part of the nut? Can it twist? You could make two cuts at both the green lines, then it should release the pin too. That way you don't need grinders, and can hopefully protect those soft hands. I always recommend wearing latex gloves, mostly so you are allowed to touch a beautiful woman.

If using a hammer, do be very careful how hard you smack it. It could damage the gel coat, the threads, or anything else in the way of a poorly aimed blow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transomlock 2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	97717  
Old 11 August 2014, 14:40   #25
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
It appears to me the main barrel is cast aluminum. That means it would be easy to cut with a hacksaw. One cut along the top green line and a few smacks with a hammer should break the part around the rod. Then the only question is how does the center part come out. Is it part of the nut? Can it twist? You could make two cuts at both the green lines, then it should release the pin too. That way you don't need grinders, and can hopefully protect those soft hands. I always recommend wearing latex gloves, mostly so you are allowed to touch a beautiful woman.

If using a hammer, do be very careful how hard you smack it. It could damage the gel coat, the threads, or anything else in the way of a poorly aimed blow.

Thanks all for the advise.

So I am dangerous with a sanding mouse let alone an angle grinder hence why I do not and will not own one! I ended up phoning the local locksmith as he only wanted £30 to remove it and works out cheaper than me buying tools I don't want to use.

He started by trying to pick the lock and that didn't work.
Then he drilled the lock....didn't work
Then he drilled the front of the bracket and on his third drill bit got through to the other side......still wouldn't come off but the pin was looser.
Then he put another drill bit on and made the holes bigger still didn't work.
Then out came the angle grinder and as exactly at Peter_C shows in his diagram cut the corner off took no time at all.

presto job done.....

Not quite on closer inspection when he drilled through the bracket he had damaged all the thread holding the hidden nut onto the bolt on the transom.
Got the socket set out and tried to unscrew the nut but it was really tough and he started rounding off the nut on the outside of the transom.
So i suggested getting the angle grinder on the outside bolt and sheer off the head and then tap the bolt through to the inside of the transom.

30 secs and it was off. Instead of 30 minutes off messing around.

In future if anyone asks I will also suggest sheering off the head of the outside bolt and tapping it through with a screwdriver and hammer easy as

Thanks again all