Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 January 2008, 14:35   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Stick a meter on the output leads and turn the engine by hand, see how many bumps you get in one turn. Or, take the flywheel off and count em. Or, set the tacho by gestimate and see what revs it reads at tickover. Your engine likely ticks over at about 1000rpm. Adjust tach as necessary.
__________________

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2008, 15:02   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
What year is it then?
2005 (I believe they started making them in 2001).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos
Take a timing strobe with an RPM meter and attach it to your engine.
I don't have one. Although I can probably borrow one when I go up to fit it to the boat. I was hoping some guru here would have just known the answer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
Stick a meter on the output leads and turn the engine by hand, see how many bumps you get in one turn. Or, take the flywheel off and count em. Or, set the tacho by gestimate and see what revs it reads at tickover. Your engine likely ticks over at about 1000rpm. Adjust tach as necessary.
Thanks Jeff - guessing would have been my fall back poistion (since it is almost certainly 4 or 6) - but if tickover was 800-1200 RPM it wouldn't be clear which setting was right. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get to the relevant parts to count it - you make it sound easy. Are you suggesting that I will see a measurable voltage spike (DC) (on my 10 maplin digital multimeter) at the tacho input each time the flywheel passes a pole?

thanks everyone.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2008, 15:17   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 338
anything of any use here?:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...005/index.html
__________________
David G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2008, 17:26   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Thanks Jeff - guessing would have been my fall back poistion (since it is almost certainly 4 or 6) - but if tickover was 800-1200 RPM it wouldn't be clear which setting was right.
Yep that would be the tricky one but listening to 800 would sound kinda slow. If you had that unclear situation, you could back off the revs a few hundred. I doubt whether the engine would run steadily at 400rpm but it would probably bark along at 800.
Quote:
Are you suggesting that I will see a measurable voltage spike (DC) (on my 10 maplin digital multimeter) at the tacho input each time the flywheel passes a pole?
I think you'll get a twitch if the flywheel is moving at a reasonable speed but digital meters are not so good. You might get the pulse when the meter isn't looking. At a push, you could try and put a led across the output. I'd stick a 100ohms or so in series to give it a bit of protection. They fire up at about 2v so you might get a flash. Put a dot of tipex on the flywheel so you can find a pole and then move back to find the next. Once you've got two adjacent poles you should be able to deduce the number by the angle between the ones you've found.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2008, 18:08   #15
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Does this look familiar?

It appears the same as this 25hp bar the power output. Same bore/stroke/cc/alt output/ and same weight to within half a kilo.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2008, 05:28   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Does this look familiar?

It appears the same as this 25hp bar the power output. Same bore/stroke/cc/alt output/ and same weight to within half a kilo.
Nos - thats the one. With an "identical" spec - I assume the "altenator" is going to be the same. I'll start with that assumption (6 pole) and then resort to more scientific approach if the results look suspect based on Jeff's magic calibration by ear trick of if it sounding fast/slow!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2008, 06:46   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,611
Polwart,

Funnily enough I'm about to try connecting an old Suzi tacho to my Yam..... Found this, as I am also missing any useful tech info.

http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/te...0Reference.pdf

Page 15.


Worst case, connect it up, set it to "12 pole". If you get an idle speed of 3-400-ish rpm, notch it back to the "6- pole" seting!
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2008, 08:22   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Polwart,

Funnily enough I'm about to try connecting an old Suzi tacho to my Yam..... Found this, as I am also missing any useful tech info.

http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/te...0Reference.pdf

Page 15.


Worst case, connect it up, set it to "12 pole". If you get an idle speed of 3-400-ish rpm, notch it back to the "6- pole" seting!
thanks
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.