Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 09 September 2007, 22:06   #1

Town: Grenada
Length: 9m +
How many hours will 225 opti's do??

Difficult question with many variables but as a ballpark figure, I'm Just wondering how many hours you would reasonably expect from of a pair of 225 optimax engines, I know there are going to be bad engines that die young but if anyone has had experience of commercial use with these engine I would like to hear you thoughts,.... I know that it is possible to kill any engine if you try but I am looking at engines that are well looked after and run at approx 70-80% of power and used most days, or just let me how many hours your engines have clocked up. Thanks H
Old 09 September 2007, 22:14   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Many Yanks seem to run theirs to about 2,000 hrs without too many problems - keep you eye on the compressors - apparently they are the weak point.
Old 13 September 2007, 11:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by How900 View Post
Difficult question with many variables but as a ballpark figure, I'm Just wondering how many hours you would reasonably expect from of a pair of 225 optimax engines, I know there are going to be bad engines that die young but if anyone has had experience of commercial use with these engine I would like to hear you thoughts,.... I know that it is possible to kill any engine if you try but I am looking at engines that are well looked after and run at approx 70-80% of power and used most days, or just let me how many hours your engines have clocked up. Thanks H
If the quality of the Optimax is the same as Verado, it lasts less than 300 hours before it is a better deal to by a new engine instead of repairing. That is if the engine is used at hight revs, like 5000 rpm most of the time. That is our experience. We have a 34 Revenger with twin 275. The engines are for sale now as we can not afford to repair them anmore.
Four searafting companies in Norway bought totally 8 X 275 Verado at the beginning of the year 2006. All four companies were so disapointed with the quality that every single engine was for sale at the end of the season!!! As of Optimax, we do not dear to go down that road.
The names of the companies are: oslofjordrafting.no (3), utihavet.no (2), havrafting.no (1), fjordrafting.no (2).
Old 13 September 2007, 13:54   #4

I am after a 300hp - what would you advise???
Old 13 September 2007, 17:35   #5

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

2 x 150's
Old 16 September 2007, 20:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Nothing but japaneese.
Our two 250 Suzuki have broken the main bracket holding the engine, twice. Last time it was big time, and the engine was hanging to the side and looking as if it should fall off. Also broken powerhead. But this is so little compaired to Evinrude and Mercury that we can recomend it. But the best engine we have had is the 225 Yamaha with 800+ hours with no problems. Have just ordered two 350 s. But if you want 300 hp, there is no real other alternative than the Suzuki.
Yes and on more problem with the Suzuki is that the gearing is so high that you have huge problems finding propellers if you are going 60+ knots.
On the 250 s we have Bravo1, 32 p. That is the only alternative in the world!
The 300 is better geared, but the same problem as it has more hp and is supposed to go faster. But if you are doing 55 or less, no problem. The boat laying next to me has 2x300hp suzuki and it has problems with one of the engines. It is running rough. Sounds like electronic problem.
And one more thing, the bracket holding the engine seems to be the same on the 250 and the 300, no good.
Good luck!
Old 16 September 2007, 21:27   #7

I know you have broken Evinrudes - was it just the contra rotating one or did you have other probs as well???

Evinrude are about to bring out a 300hp - that's why I ask.

I would LOVE a 350hp V8 but it's way too heavy - may as well get twins. Johnson had a 450hp V8 that weighed 225kgs back in the 1980s - now that's the sort of engine I want!!!
Old 18 September 2007, 17:22   #8

On the Evinrude Di 250s, we had poblems with the tiltsylinder it self, the (rele) electrical component, the tiltpipe made of plastic was worn out rapedly and changed, but the same thing happende. To tilt the engine up, there are two pins lifting the engine. They are working against some bearings screwed to the engineleg. This was totally masched on both sides on both engines. Broke 5 counterrotating gears and none right hand rotating gears.
The sparkplugs only last halfe the time of what Evinrude claims, that also is the truth with e.tech.
And you have to by expenscive oil running your two-stroke Evinrude. The Evinrudes are also shaking when going hard in waves. Extremely different from the Verado with a very different construction.
Talking about oil, the Veradoes use very much oil. They use the same amont as the E-tech, and that goes for both engines. They have been like that all the time.
Old 18 September 2007, 19:19   #9

Thanks for the info. I would watch the mounts on those new Yamaha V8s - they weigh 365kg and the way you punish your boats the mounts will get a real hammering with that sort of weight - time will tell.
Old 19 September 2007, 06:17   #10

You are very right! http://rib.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 19 September 2007, 08:32   #11

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Talking about oil, the Veradoes use very much oil. They use the same amont as the E-tech, and that goes for both engines. They have been like that all the time. [/QUOTE]

You say the Verado's are using oil? Do you mean engine oil or petrol?
Old 19 September 2007, 17:48   #12

He obviously means engine oil - quite a few 4 strokes use quite a bit - the Mazda RX8s use loads as did the older Renaults - they even had an oil level guage on the dash!!!
Old 05 October 2007, 08:25   #13

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Just out of interest Rib Voyages Etec's have just passed the 1800 hour mark!!!

Tony